• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol Help Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen pictures of the pistol you describe. I went thru all the references that I have close at hand and couldn't find it. I'll keep looking.

I found a reference to a pistol in an old book I have on building muzzle loading rifles, pistols, powder horns and flints. No mention is made as to the original makers of this style. The book is very interesting as it takes you thru making the whole pistol including boring and rifling the barrel.

L.B.Myers:

If the pistol looks like these:
TRADITIONSPISTOL01a.jpg

it my be a Traditions trapper kit, they are mfg in Spain.
The top pistol was complete and the bottom is a kit that I just completed. Hope this helps.

rex (wesrcoastBPgramps)
BP can bp fun

They are usually referred to as "saw handled" pistols, the
TC patriot also has that projection. These are not allowed in "Kentucky pistol" competition because of the projection.

quote "...These are not allowed in "Kentucky pistol" competition because of the projection."

I'm familure with the rule, but I gotta say,
"Another wierd rule".
There is little doubt that the Saw Handled pistols, while not real common, were around in the 1800s long before cartridge guns were known. ::

Zonie:
I haven't shot M/L pistol in competition, but would like to use my home-made underhammer with adjustable sights and custom grips (sculpted, sort of like a Swiss .22 free pistol's grip). Is there a category for such that you know of? If not, what categories/matches would mine be allowed in? I suppose it would depend mostly on local club rules, but perhaps the NMLRA has a ruling on this.

BTW, Robert Abels' catalog used to offer "saw-handled" duellers from time to time, mostly English made flinters.

Back