• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol stock blanks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Was cutting up some maple for firewood and discovered some pieces that had some nice curl in it. I always wanted to make a "Kentucky Style" pistol and would like to make some rough blanks out of some of this wood. What are the dimensions of a rough cut blank for a Kentucky style pistol? Width, length, height?

I have the traditions kentucky pistol wood stock. I can send it to you as something you can go off of, if you carve me out one too :grin: Or send me back a piece of wood slightly carved where I can try and make a pistol frame (id be trying for dragoon).

Seriously though, if you want this, pay shipping both ways, give me a small refundable deposit and we'll be good to go as long as I get it back in a few weeks. Otherwise, im pretty sure you'll be fine without a model as i'm assuming you already have experience.

That's about right. If you can cut your maple where there is a junction of a limb coming out, you might be able to configure the grain to follow the grip all the way around, in that there will be no grain runout in the wrist, the bane of KY pistols and a frequent place for them to break.

Thanks guys appreciate the info.
Claycow only going to get a few blanks out of this and I better keep them. Hate to get rid of something I could of used and should of kept.

Back