• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PISTOLS OF THE GOOD LORD BIRD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is a new Showtime series about the abolitionist James Brown. James Brown is played by the actor Ethan Hawke. His character, James Brown, is shown armed with two Colt percussion pistols. This series is based on actual events and it correctly set in the late 1850s. Can anyone identify the pistols carried by James Brown character? It appears to me that one of the Colt percussion pistols is larger than the other. So, if this is historically correct one would have to be the Colt Navy Model 1851. But what is the larger pistol?

DaveC. Thank you. Yes, assuming, the firearms are correct to this time period; you're right, the larger of the two pistols is one of the Colt Dragoons or the Walker .44. But, it cannot be a Colt Model 1860. This is what I think also. If you get to see the series let me know what you think.

There is a new Showtime series about the abolitionist James Brown. James Brown is played by the actor Ethan Hawke. His character, James Brown, is shown armed with two Colt percussion pistols. This series is based on actual events and it correctly set in the late 1850s. Can anyone identify the pistols carried by James Brown character? It appears to me that one of the Colt percussion pistols is larger than the other. So, if this is historically correct one would have to be the Colt Navy Model 1851. But what is the larger pistol?
Hi. I watched the series.Brown has two pistols.The one is definitely a Colt Paterson revolver(lack of trigger guard)..The other one is probably a Walker(round barrel) It's clear at the screenshot I attach from the speech- scene.And from the other photos.His sons use 1851s.Personally, I wonder about the rifles!Any clue?
IMG_20240716_074707.jpg
Ethan-Hawke-The-Good-Lord-Bird.jpg
MV5BMTJlZTRiNjAtODBkNi00ZmMzLThlYmUtNDFhYjU4NGQ3YmFhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg
IMG_20240716_072845.jpg

Back