• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistor rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawduster

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

Was looking for any information on a Pistor rifle.

Top of barrel marked:

PISTOR
KOST IN SCHMALKALDEN (made in Schmalkalden, Germany?)
By E.EYBEL IN NEWIORK (New York Spelled with I and all one word)(importer?)

Caliber - a .430 cast bullet just fits into barrel

Octagon barrel, length is 28-3/4"

Has a ladder barrel sight marked 300, 400, 500 ,600.

Rear sight with an elevation adjustable eyecup.

Front sight is a globe sight.

DST

Steel buttplate

Any information on the age, quality of Pistor rifles, target use, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

pistor001.jpg

pistor002.jpg

pistor003.jpg

I don't have any info either, but Wow! Check out how well the two pieces of wood are joined. Looks like the front piece is the working half, and the back piece is the good looking half. Fantastic craftmanship.

Since it's a target rifle, I looked through a list of makers by Ned Roberts, but it's not listed there. But I wonder if it was specifically made for the Creedmoor range in New York? Bill

ericb said:
Pistor & Kost were makers in Schmalkalden...

Wilhelm Pistor, 1809 - 1870, head of gun manufacturing in Schmalkalden.

Here is the connection with Walther - there is no charge for the translation, I do it every day of my life -

Already early on, centers of firearms manufacturing were established around smelting works. That was the case in Thuringia as well, in the region around Suhl and Zella-Mehlis. Modest blacksmiths gave rise to special trades such as that of rifle maker, which was the trade of the forefathers of the WALTHER family. One of them was August Theodor Walther, who married the granddaughter of the respected rifle maker Gustav Wilhelm Pistor, from Asbach-Schmalkalden.
Her son, Carl Wilhelm Freund, established the history of the WALTHER company. Born in 1858, he started his own rifle making business after completing his education in 1886. With the assistance of his apprentice, Carl Walther began
to manufacture hunting and target shooting rifles using the Martini and Aydt systems. At that time, the 28-year-old had only very little equipment and few tools at his disposal.'

tac

'If you are reading this, thank a teacher. If you are are reading this in English, then thank a soldier.'

sbhg said:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_24_63&products_id=14601
http://www.bing.com/search?q=PISTOR/KOST+IN+SCHMALKALDEN+&go=&form=QBLH&qs=n&sk=
I tried doing a search @ the above, but i can't read German. :idunno:

Bought this rifle because of the one Dixie had. Talked to them a couple months ago and they didn't have any other information other than what was posted on the ad. They also have had it for a while.

Google will translate the German (or any language) for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
snowdragon said:
I don't have any info either, but Wow! Check out how well the two pieces of wood are joined. Looks like the front piece is the working half, and the back piece is the good looking half. Fantastic craftmanship.

Since it's a target rifle, I looked through a list of makers by Ned Roberts, but it's not listed there. But I wonder if it was specifically made for the Creedmoor range in New York? Bill

Thanks Bill,

I'll take a few more pictures of the joining. If it wasn't for the color contrast, would be hard to tell. The checkering flows form one peice to the next. Originally thought it was repaired, but was this a way they were made?

pistor004.jpg

pistor005.jpg

pistor006.jpg

pistor007.jpg

pistor008.jpg

ericb said:

Found a lot of Pistor, but never found anything from Kost. The translations for Kost didn't make sense for a rifle. Do you have a source for Kost as a maker?

Thanks

tac said:
ericb said:

Wilhelm Pistor, 1809 - 1870, head of gun manufacturing in Schmalkalden.

Here is the connection with Walther - there is no charge for the translation, I do it every day of my life -

Already early on, centers of firearms manufacturing were established around smelting works. That was the case in Thuringia as well, in the region around Suhl and Zella-Mehlis. Modest blacksmiths gave rise to special trades such as that of rifle maker, which was the trade of the forefathers of the WALTHER family. One of them was August Theodor Walther, who married the granddaughter of the respected rifle maker Gustav Wilhelm Pistor, from Asbach-Schmalkalden.
Her son, Carl Wilhelm Freund, established the history of the WALTHER company. Born in 1858, he started his own rifle making business after completing his education in 1886. With the assistance of his apprentice, Carl Walther began
to manufacture hunting and target shooting rifles using the Martini and Aydt systems. At that time, the 28-year-old had only very little equipment and few tools at his disposal.'

tac

'If you are reading this, thank a teacher. If you are are reading this in English, then thank a soldier.'

A Guesstimate on the age 1860's?

Is there any information on Kost?

Danke

Last edited by a moderator:
You beat me to those photos. I had been admiring their firearms for a while and here is another link. Not much info but it shows a couple more examples of their work. Very nice muzzleloader :thumbsup:

Link

Yeah, they sure got it right. I'd give anything to be a Fly on the wall in that shop for a day...

Eric

Back