• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plains pistol doe.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silly goose

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Monday was the opener of BP season here in NY. I came off a night shift, slept a couple hours and spent the afternoon to a deerless field.

Yesterday was another OT shift. Today I went out in the rain in the morning. I am not good enough with my flinter to attempt to hunt in the rain, so I loaded up my GPP with 40gr fffg, a mink oiled patch and a .490 ball. Off I went. I kept it under my coat until the rain soaked through at about 11am. Came home and had lunch while everything dried by the woodstove.

Went back out in a snow squall for the afternoon. It never stopped snowing, sometimes hard, sometimes not so hard. Peaceful in the woods. I went to a stand that I had not hunted in a couple years. I wrote about it on here 3 years ago when I killed my first bp deer with a Renegade. I checked it in October so I knew it was still in good shape, and cleared some lanes around it.

It got to be a little after 4 and snowing so hard you couldn't hear a thing. I looked up and saw a yearling about 25 yards out and moving right to left. Kinda far for me, but I started getting ready. I had the GPP tied around the barrel and grip with a scarf, so it would hang around my neck, under my jacket. Yes, I improvised, but it worked like a charm. Except, why did I tie it so damn tight! I couldn't get it untied, and now saw a mature doe on a closer trail that would bring her within 10 yards of my stand. I'm really fussing with this thing now. Ok, I get it untied and bring it to full cock. Where did the cap go? I look into the little piece of leather that I had over the cap and under the hammer, and there it is. I put the cap back on. Ready to go.

She steps out from behind some brush and looks at me at 8 yards. She's quartering towards me, and I don't really like that shot, much prefer broadside lungs, but she is at 8 yards. I hold the sights on her neck, apply pressure on the trigger and boom, she disappears in a cloud of smoke. I watch her run dead away up a grade and into more thick stuff. The smaller deer runs off to the left, a second later the one I shot starts to run in that direction toward a ravine. I lose sight of her, but only see one deer come out of the ravine.

I climb out of my stand, its getting dark quick, and the snow has picked up again. I cant find a track to save my life, even where she was standing at the shot. I start looking, not finding anything, all covered in snow already. I start looking and come up empty all the way around. I walk back to my stand, thinking maybe I had missed. I'm no sniper, but I make that shot all day, no way I missed. I've killed other deer with a handgun, just not a bp handgun.

I look over the area again from the stand and set off looking again. I'm not finding anything, but I know only one deer went out the other side of that ravine. I go a little further than I would have thought she went, and there she laid in the bottom of the ravine, about 8 feet down.

I wish I had pics, the snow was falling even harder, and thankfully my daughter helped me get that deer out of the ravine, she even dressed it for me. Its home hanging now. Work again tomorrow, cut her up on Fri. Maybe I'll have time for another before time runs out.

And yeah, this deer was shot about a step from where my first bp deer was shot. I thought that was pretty cool. My son helped me put that stand up when he was 5, he picked the location. I like that stand alot. Thanks for coming along.

Congratulations! What an accomplishment to do it with a black powder pistol! :hatsoff: :bow:

Years ago I watched a couple of videos with Jerry Peterson, owner of Woods Wise Game Calls, where he hunted and shot several deer with a 50 caliber BP Pistol. Looked like a LOT of fun! I have a Chambers Kentucky kit in .54 with a 13" swamped octagon barrel sitting in the wings to build. That should make a great BP deer hunting pistol.

Congratulations. :hatsoff:
Probably the hardest way to take a deer.

Taking a deer with a blackpowder pistol is something I have been wanting to do for several years now. Illinois has strange laws so the only time BP pistols are legal for deer hunting is during the late-wintwer antlerless-only season in January. By then the deer are herded up and spooky from 3 months of hunting pressure. It's hard to get close. When you do there are usually a lot of eyes ready to bust you.
I'll keep trying.

Well done, you kept your cool under pressure, getting that cap back on with a deer that close was an accomplishment in itself, thanks for sharing your hunt.

Congratulations on a successful hunt. That was an excellent and entertaining narrative. It is difficult enough to remain calm when you are that close to a whitetail, without having to replace the cap. Well done! Keep yer powder dry......Robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad you connected with the pistol. Congrats! :thumbsup:

I shot a small buck with a Ruger Old Army 2 years ago. It went 50 yards. No snow to deal with though.

:hatsoff:
Congratulations, nice going!
You did good and nice story, too.

Silex

Way to keep your cool! I get buck fever in situations like that, I'd a been shaking all over the place.

Great hunt.........Virginia is allowing BP pistols, for the first time this year. But nothing I have, meets the requirements. I have shot deer with pistols before. I'm hoping to build something before next season.

Congradulations.

Thanks for the kind words. This was certainly a memorable deer for me. You should have seen me trying to get that scarf untied.... with all the comedy goin on with the scarf and cap, I'm surprised it finally came together. :grin:

I gotta tell you, I'm pretty impressed with that Lyman pistol.

Great story & thanks so much for sharing. Felt like I was up in the stand with ya! Congrats & continued success! I've hunted Pigs with a Walker revolver but not deer yet. Can't use hand gun in NJ!

Good luck on another one!

Dave

Good hunt there don't think the results would have been any better with a rifle.

Back