• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PLanning firs ML deer hunt...some advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhat

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Next saturday I plan on using my .54 Renegade for the first time. I sighted it in at 50 yds with Hornady roundball. I used 70 grains Pyrodex, and it held 1" groups about 2" high. I also tried 80 and 90 grains. 80 grains shot almost as wll and 90 opened it up to about 2".

If I stick with 70 grains, will that be enough? Dou you think my 2" high zero would enable a 75 yd shot?

Thanks for any help.

Personally I like max or near max powder charges for big game hunting...when I used Pyrodex RS or Select in TC Hawken caplocks, I used 120[url] grns...in[/url] my opinion, 50-70grn charges in a .54cal are basically target loads...and if you already know 90grns shoots well I'd suggest you at least go with that...good luck with your hunt

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot a doe last year at 40 yards with a 50 cal using 70 grains FFF, knocked right over, got up and ran 50 yards and expired.
As you see in my resent post i shot a buck at 50 yards with a 54 using 80 grains FFF and he didn`t go far.
Both deer were shot through the lungs.

Thanks Gentlemen,

The 70 grain load grouped so good I was really inpressed with it. The 90 grain load didn't do bad, just not a 3 leaf clover like the 70 grain.

They all grouped within 4".

Whichever load works best for you (and I think your 70 grain charge would be fine), do yourself a favor before heading out on your first hunt.

Go back to the range, put on your hunting clothes, and take ten giant steps away from the reloading bench.

Whether you use a bag or your pockets, get to know where all your tools and components are, and learn to load without dropping anything on the ground or laying it on the bench.

Bench withdrawal is one of the biggest factors for all first time hunters. You're going to need all that stuff in the field, and you need to know where it is and what to do with it when you're through with it. Otherwise you'll have stuff sprayed everywhere through the brush and a very amused deer if you need a second shot!

Redhat said:
Thanks Gentlemen,

The 70 grain load grouped so good I was really inpressed with it. The 90 grain load didn't do bad, just not a 3 leaf clover like the 70 grain.

They all grouped within 4".
To me, in terms of big game hunting at various unknown distances, that minor difference in accuracy is trumped by the benefit of additional power to carry energy further if I'm out there and it's needed...and if it's not, no problem anyway...other's mileage may vary

Thanks Bown Bear,

I will be hunting from a tree stand, with my loads in those plastic tubes. I figure if something goes wrong (misfire) whatever, then I missed my chance.

As for shooting away from the bench, not allowed at the range I go to.

I'm speaking figuratively about stepping away from the bench. Even standing by the bench I'd wear my hunting clothes and stow all your accessories and components on your bod rather than on the bench. I'm willing to bet that if your bullet starter isn't tied down somehow, it's going to be on the ground under the tree stand when you need it most!

Can you guess how I learned the necessity for all this sage advice? :redface:

Just the same way I learned the problems with unbreakable synthetic ramrods earlier this week. It may make great ad pictures to tie one in a knot, but try a fast reload with one sometime while the deer is standing there watching you. First miss ona ML deer taught me lessons I didn't want to learn! :redface: :shocked2:

Back