• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plastic bottle powder horn, Dangerous?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misfit-45

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Years ago I used Pyrodex and filled the powder measure from a plastic bottle I had made into a powder horn. Later, I heard that plastic bottles cause static electricity which may spark the powder. So, I stopped using it. Now Goex comes in plastic bottles. Was that a country (urban) myth?
Marv

I don't know if it's true or not, but for safety reasons 4-H recently changed the rules and banned the use of plastic powder horns for the reason you mentioned. I never had any trouble with mine, though.

It has been proven many times that naturally generated static electricity will not be "hot
" enough to ignite powder granuales. But as any one knowledgeable with grain or wood dust knows, static will ignite dust particles.Are plastic bottle dangerous for powder? You can rest assured that the powder companies are very much aware of any possible liability issuses. :idunno: :idunno:

This would be an interesting experiment with some powder and several size capacitors/voltages.......

I have used a plastic container for hunting purposes, wearing staticky wool clothes and am still here

this topic keeps coming up, thats why there is a sticky at the top of this section.

BP will not explode from normal static.

-matt

Define "normal" static? :haha: I added the laughter icon as lightening is static electricity (and a big fear of artillery men in the age of BP and folks at powder magazines was lightening) AND it's pretty "normal" judging from the amount of lightening strikes on the planet per year, but the heat from a static discharge that one creates when walking on a carpet in stockings or petting the cat, nope, that's too weak. OH and I have heard that the static from a cell phone igniting gasoline at a pump has been debunked too..., but I couldn't find any studies online..., gas cans are often plastic too.. but they do say place it on the ground when filling (gasoline has a lower flash point too than BP I am told).

LD

Down at the Dan'l Morgan shoot years back a guy came down the firing line selling 5 lb paper bags of powder. The possibility of a stray spark burning through the paper made me a bit nervous.

I have seen some odd things catch fire. Accidentally started some steel wool on fire in my shop from a spark from a hammer hitting a piece of steel file. The ease at which it caught and flared up was scary. Learned a lesson about keeping the shop neat.

As long as a hot spark can't make it through the plastic, fine.

SwanShot said:
Mooman76 said:
Some Black powder you buy actually comes in a plastic can now so...........
My local gun shop has gotten used to me now but I always threw em by asking for a plastic of powder, well, it's not a can is it :blah:

When it's in metal do you ask for a metal of powder? Can is short for canister be it plastic of metal or even wood.

That would have been Jack from Back Creek Gun Shop. GOEX in 5 pound bulk lots is packed in a plastic bag inside a paper bag with a rubber stamp on it for identification.

Back