• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please help me identify this potential 1600s flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well , the good DrLaw did “give free advice from his experience”.
🥸
Thank you, Pathfinder. It irks me that people will want answers without bothering to find things themselves, then question when they get an answer, and then 'experts' come on the scene and further criticize without providing any proof themselves, and laugh when a goodly person such as yourself answers to that. I don't know everything, but I don't just snipe and run.

Thank you, again.

Nice booklet, however the Austrian BH mark is definitely not a Bundesheer mark used since 1891. That term was not used before 1920.

Why? It may very well be Arabic in origin.
Clark prior to observing photos of this pistol I had been studying features of another on the forum offered for sale that definitely appears Arabic.
I got called away & thought this was the same pistol.
I haven't seen enough of this pistol's features to make a decision on it's nationality.

Thank you, Pathfinder. It irks me that people will want answers without bothering to find things themselves, then question when they get an answer, and then 'experts' come on the scene and further criticize without providing any proof themselves, and laugh when a goodly person such as yourself answers to that. I don't know everything, but I don't just snipe and run.

Thank you, again.
Snipe and run? I gave you at least 1 reference by name. Want more? How about anything published by DeWitt Bailey on British martial arms over the oast 2+ decades. Howard Blackmore’s British Military firearms, a book that was publish in 1961 has listings and drawings of English proofs back to the 1650s. Would you like even more sources? You made a rather pathetic attempt to prove your point, and it even proved your point wrong. Just be a man and admit you were in error.

Hey guys, I recently stumbled upon an intriguing flintlock pistol that looks like it might be from the late 1600s. It appears to be a .60 cal. and has an 11 1/2” barrel.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as always thank y’all!
I'm not certain it is even old. Brass screws, a lock engraving that looks stamped instead of...engraved. I wouldn't be surprised if that barrel doesn't have a breech the way that tang is welded on. 19th century at the very oldest, I'm thinking tourist piece from the last 75 years.

I’ve got one just like it at home.

As was said earlier in this thread, it’s likely from the Ottoman (Turkish) part of the world, and likely dates to the early-mid 1800s.

Many of the parts are likely from older Spanish and Italian pistols (from the early-mid 1700s) that were reused to build these types of pistols. So yes, a real pistol made from parts of older pistols.

Latest posts

Back