• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plus +P Grade Maple Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBrooks

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a recent
photo to post of a curly maple stock
in grade plus +P ? I am about to order
an Early Va from TVM and think the plain
will just be to plain. I have a custom
Mt Rifle in premium grade (not TVM) and
don't have anything to compare. All I
have ever owned is premium. So if anyone
has a good up-close photo of a stock, I would
love to see it. Thanks

lead487

The problem is just about every supplier has their own grading system, and they are very subjective. Your idea of +P is one thing and the supplier/builder is another.. You need to talk directly with the supplier, and either get pic's or an agreement as to what is that standard. From what I've seen of TVM's wood at Dixon's you should be happy. Unfortunately sometimes you just have to go on faith.

Bill

bill is exactly right. I would want a photo of the wood before I ordered. For myself, I never buy a piece of wood unless I can see it myself or unless it comes from Freddie Harrison. His word is gold. Just because it is pretty doesn't mean it is a good piece of stock wood. You need to consider , water content, grain direction, density. and hardness also.

PICT0384-1.jpg

This is my pet Lancaster with a P+ stock; that's just one step above the plain one. I guess that's what you're referring to. I think I lucked out as this one is as nice as most higher grades I've seen but it's still just a TVM P+.

Ditto on wood grading. The sawyer I got my 5A and 4A exhibition grade maple blanks from grades them 1A-5A exhibition, with 5A the top end. I think he uses the old "Select A-AA-AAA" grading system for the lower quality blanks. The picture below: the left one is 5A, the other two are 4A for a comparison. Below that an exceptional 5-A balnk finished for a Marlin.

5-4-4.jpg

5amarlin.jpg

Wow hanshi, thanks for that photo. Beautiful
rifle, and just the right amount of curl/stripe. I can
live with that stock. I'm convinced that its
enough stripe to admire while waiting for deer
and plenty to show friends. Thanks to all
of you who responded.

lead487

lead487 said:
Does anyone out there have a recent
photo to post of a curly maple stock
in grade plus +P ?
I am about to order an Early Va from TVM
Here’s an example of what TVM called Super Premium + + on a Virginia Matt built for me last year...

A10121062cal10Pointer.jpg

C10121062cal10Pointer.jpg

Beautiful rifle Roundball, can't argue with that
super premium for stunning look. Thanks a bunch
for posting a photo and also thanks to
Greenmtnboy for the post. Now if I could just
bag some of those wild critters you all shot...
that would make my day. I'll go with the plus +
on this rifle and next rifle maybe the super premium

lead 487

hanshi said:
Don't get too dark a stain as it will hide much of the grain.

:nono:

Better yet don't use stain at all on any wood, let alone a fine stock blank. They plug grain and decreases depth of finish instead of enhancing them. I stopped using stains of any kind many years ago on any wood projects. Far better is aniline dye, the easiest and most trasluscent is water based, and with it you have total control over how much you accent grain colors. They enhance depth of finish and do not plug grain.

The Marlin above was finished with a solvent based aniline followed by many hand rubbed coats of 100% pure tung oil (not the tung oil found in most harware stores that are polymerized oils or varnish/oil blends); and finished with a couple of coats of T1 carnauba wax (also not a prepared product - you cook a batch from 100% pure white flakes and an appropriate catalyst for each job).

FWIW

Walks Alone

Back