• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Point of impact change?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Fellers',

Got done filin' down the sites to get the point of impact set where I wanted it. Shot another key hole from the blocks and then decided to give free hand a go.

Point of impact changed, had pretty consitant group'n, two of them were touchin' at 50 yds. So is that normal, or am I jest jerkin' the gun real consistant like?

Spot

Spot, I've had that effect, and guessed it was that my eye alignment shifted when I went from the bench to the off-hand position. I've tried to be right careful about eye alignment when using the bench recently, and it seems to have helped...Hank

"Spot Shooter", "Hank" is right... I have always understood and follwed that you zero in from which possition you will be doing most of your shooting from. Point of impact will change from one shooting possition to the next. How much? That's anyones guess as everyone's build and eyesight is different. I don't use a bench anymore. I go right for the possition I plan on shooting from and go from there. Starting at 25 yards and working my way out seems to work for me... I do have rifles that have never seen anything but a set of cross-sticks for 50 and 100 yard work... Hang in there... :)

I think it varies from shooter to shooter based upon the type of bench and bench style that you use...the shooters size and how the rifle is rested / held down, etc.

I know for me and my particular style, if I bench / adjust a rifle then stand up and use it any other way offhand, it always shoots a lot higher...I rarely ever use a bench for that reason

Spot Shooter- If, when on the bench, grab the forearm with your left hand( for right handed person, reverse for left handed) and rest the back of your left hand on the bag, Sight the rifle in that way. When you go to offhand, the POI probably won't change.
Daryl

I have always shot higher off hand than from a rest or sticks.
My "theory" is, Off-hand I'm applying upward preasure to hold the barrel up when firing and that appears to make it jump (rise) a bit. On a rest, it's totally static. I feel this accounts for my experiences.
On the other hand, how much, seems to depend on stock design and load.

Daryl is right. Put the forend in your hand not on the bag.
Hold the rifle as you would off hand just using the rest to steady your aim and it will be the same. Same pressure against your shoulder and same tightness with your hand on forend.

When regulating double rifles the British factory personnel shoot from a "standing bench rest". Essentially it is a padded rest you walk up to and stand at, supported, in the offhand position. With two barrels I can see the necessity of this device. With one barrel I believe it would be of great assistance in eliminating POI shift, for those who experience it, due to sighting in from a sitting bench rest. I'm not singing the praises of the British and their firearms industry but they do have a bit of experience with double rifles.

Perhaps such a "rest" could be contrived at home.

Vic

FYI...forgot to mention something some of you might be interested in trying...I've gotten into the habit of doing 99% of my shooting sitting in a small chair to simulate sitting in a treestand.
I was very surprised to find how rock solid steady it is with my left elbow braced down on my chest...and when I try other more offhand positions, POI remains the same

How about using shooting sticks? I have never used them but I would think that they could be pretty useful to solve this problem.

Well spot,, I seen this a 1000 tymes, and I used too tell'm about it all the tyme when I seen'm doin it, but I don't anymore, cause I like shootin better than most.
I like ya spot,,any freind of the mountain dweller is a friend of mine, an ya make damn good jerky sticks!
Daryl an Deadeye said it proper, ya need to hold that rifle the same each tyme. If you "bench", then you need to bench your hand , not the gun. If you need to steady your elbow,,then hold the gun the same!
Prone,sitting,kneeling,leaning or standing,,,you hold that gun in your hands!! The same!!
Learning the gun,,ei; patch,powder,ball and cleaning,is the small part,,When you do your part you'll understand this question,,Can you see your heartbeat?

Right-on- sumtacks- fully 50% of accuracy with a muzzleloading rifle is in the loading, and a good percentage of that 50%, is the of doing it exactly the same each time.
: Not only the hands holding, but your breathing, foot position (both flat on the ground), angle to the rifle and amount of leaning are all necessary for consitant results & they have to be done exactly the same each time. Many are the guys who can shoot just as well standing or sitting as off the bench, due to sloppy or hap-hazzard bench techniques. My brother is one of those individuals who can consitantly shoot into a 3" circle at 100yds. with RB's while standing, but cannot do that with the same rifle off the bench. This comes from an adevrsity to learning to shoot properly off the bench, as he says - "I don't want to learn how to shoot off the bench because my shooting is done on my hind legs" - he's a bit subborn, as well - also Natonal Champion 3 times in a row for the 3 times he competed. Fine shot- does everything EXACTLY the same - every time.
Daryl

Back