• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Point to point drilling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just drilled the tang and trigger plate on my .58 Lancaster build and thought I would share my "high tech" point to point device. Mounts through the center hole on the drill press plate.

1678478953703.jpeg

Those work slick, Tom. I’ll go ya one simpler, I just sharpened a 1/4” dowel like a pencil, clamped it in my drill press vise, centered under the bit, and went to town. That way if I inadvertently go a little deep with the bit I’m hitting wood, not steel.

I've used this on the last three builds and it works great. Set up is simple. I mount it through the hole in the drill press plate. Center the tip with the point of drill bit, tighten the nuts and its rock solid. Mount the gun to be drilled and center the point and drill bit where I have center punched the tang and trigger plate. Drill through the tang down till it touches the underside of the trigger plate. Then flip the gun over, Change the drill bit to a tap drill, realign the points ( the plate mounted point fits nicely into the tang hole now ) and drill the trigger plate.

Just drilled the tang and trigger plate on my .58 Lancaster build and thought I would share my "high tech" point to point device. Mounts through the center hole on the drill press plate.

View attachment 204873
That is a slick idea.
For those who have a drill press vice mounted on it's press plate, just place a center punch upside down, or a drill bit in the vice. Works great.
Thanks for showing this.

Larry

Latest posts

Back