• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poll: What do you use your muzzleloader for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you primarily use your muzzleloader for?

• Hunting

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Target Shooting

Votes: 46 24.0%
  • Both

Votes: 129 67.2%

• Total voters

Zutt-man

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was talking to a friend this past weekend and he asked "When does the muzzleloader season begin?" I was taken aback, because the season opened last Monday. He's an avid bow hunter and the muzzleloader and archery seasons in Kansas begin at the same time. Turns out, he's much more of a plinker than a hunter when it comes to shooting a smoke pole. It got me to thinking, so I decided I'd start a poll!

I haven't been to a rendezvous in +15 years. Would love to take my kids to a few and do some shooting, but at this point mine get used for hunting.

Both. Now I'm retired, I can do more of both. Always enjoyed hunting with mine, but it was a day or two here and there. I really enjoy shooting the cap and ball revolvers quite a bit. I have the time to do it now. Probably a lot of guys and gals are in the same category as me. We count on the meat, so I hit all the seasons archery, and yes the other weapons too. But the satisfaction of a well placed single PRB or conical on paper or behind a shoulder ranks way up there with bourbon and bacon of the things that make me happy.

I voted "target shooting" only because I don't hunt, and there was no other choice. If I really want to hit targets in the bull's eyes with a firearm I don't shoot any of my muzzle loaders, sorry. I shoot muzzle loaders because they're so much FUN, and because they honor and remind me of American history, and because they enlarge my knowledge of firearms. So, I wish the poll had more choices, so I didn't have to default to a vote that's an activity only incidental to my muzzle loader shooting. The targets are there because something needs to be shot at, but mainly to give me feedback on how my gun's performing.

Last edited:
99% of my shots are at targets. But if I can't see myself hunting with it at some point in the year, then away it goes.

99% Club target matches and Rendezvous. Used to do muzzleloader deer season camp until my friend died.
Did you guys go on public or private ground? (I ask knowing you're right next to 17,000 acres of KDWP land)

I don't have any of my old camping supplies, but that would be a fun weekend to do!

Latest posts

Back