• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor man’s guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m just looking for examples of what you’d consider a “poor man’s gun”. Something just barely above a hunk of wood with a metal pipe. I’ve seen a few examples which were basically your normal rifle minus the buttplate, nose cap, decoration and some other odds and ends. I know the Indian trade guns were basically there but from what I’ve seen a lot of them were even a bit higher up on the quality scale than what I’ve seen of the lower class guns. I also know that with a lot of these guns they were bought in a hurry and just past the point of being functional and would be modified after as the owner would have the money(for example adding a butt plate, nose cap, lock plate, carving, engraving etc.). Anyone have any good examples? Thanks!

Hello,

I’m just looking for examples of what you’d consider a “poor man’s gun”. Something just barely above a hunk of wood with a metal pipe. I’ve seen a few examples which were basically your normal rifle minus the buttplate, nose cap, decoration and some other odds and ends. I know the Indian trade guns were basically there but from what I’ve seen a lot of them were even a bit higher up on the quality scale than what I’ve seen of the lower class guns. I also know that with a lot of these guns they were bought in a hurry and just past the point of being functional and would be modified after as the owner would have the money(for example adding a butt plate, nose cap, lock plate, carving, engraving etc.). Anyone have any good examples? Thanks!

Well according to the ledger for George Morgan's store in Kaskaskia in the 1760's, the inexpensive gun was the fusil, aka "fuzee", costing about half, if not less, than a rifle of the same era, and the rifles were ordered to be "Lancaster pattern".

You might do what I did, and obtain a Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun, or a kit of the same, and modify it a tiny bit. Swap out the steel NW-tradegun-style trigger guard for a very simple brass guard, and remove the serpent sideplate. Two screws hold the serpent plate in place, so IF you buy a kit, you might simply fill in the hole for the forward screw before finishing the stock, and then only use the single lock screw for the lock. The lock is made with the characteristic Pedersoli wood screw forward of the frizzen spring bend. After that it's up to you if you will use the included butt piece with screws OR swap that out, and modify the butt of the stock to accept a flat brass piece with nails or nothing at all.

TRADEGUN MUSKET KIT.JPG

LD

SMR, or, southern mountain rifle. Nothing fancy, just plain and simple. I am digging that picture of the Pedersoli Dave posted. A good SMR and that Pedersoli and one would be all set.

The most amazing "poor boy" , "barn gun" or whatever you wish to name it , was an original flint lock Lehigh Valley , Pa. style stock , made from a termite eaten blank . Yep , the blank was chewed by termites before the gun builder started the build. Lotsa exposed longitudinal tunnels , and all sorts of 1/16" holes. One upper r/r thimble , w/no entry pipe. Single trigger w/brass trig. guard , no butt plate , just rounded a bit at the butt. I have a passion for this rifle , and made a few similar ones...........oldwood

A "poor boy" , or "barn gun" doesn't have to sport expensive parts to be correct. A yr. ago , I was out riding a UTV on a "Rails-to -Trails" path in North Central Pa.. On a pile of old RR ties , I found some small square cut 2 1/2 " long nails with 1/2 " square heads , and each head had a different number on it. I scarfed them up not even knowing what to do w/them , and took them to a local RR historian for identification. He said they were post CW. RR tie markers. Every so many ties had a marker nail driven into it. By the time I got home , I knew the nails would grace the toe , and butt comb of a W.Va. Mtn. rifle I had in my head to build. The free nails would save the price of a toe plate , and butt plate. This wasn't my brain storm , as once I saw an original rifle at the Baltimore Gun show with nails in the butt. One reference book I have read , says flint rifles were made clear into the post CW era back in the mountains of Appalachia. I like that , it gives some of us old farts license to expand our horizons....LOL

Last edited:
A "poor boy" , or "barn gun" doesn't have to sport expensive parts to be correct. A yr. ago , I was out riding a UTV on a "Rails-to -Trails" path in North Central Pa.. On a pile of old RR ties , I found some small square cut 2 1/2 " long nails with 1/2 " square heads , and each head had a different number on it. I scarfed them up not even knowing what to do w/them , and took them to a local RR historian for identification. He said they were post CW. RR tie markers. Every so many ties had a marker nail driven into it. By the time I got home , I knew the nails would grace the toe , and butt comb of a W.Va. Mtn. rifle I had in my head to build. The free nails would save the price of a toe plate , and butt plate. This wasn't my brain storm , as once I saw an original rifle at the Baltimore Gun show with nails in the butt. One reference book I have read , says flint rifles were made clear into the post CW era back in the mountains of Appalachia. I like that , it gives some of old farts license to expand our horizons....LOL
Ozark legend, if you place a coffin nail in your gun it can’t be hexxed
This was a big danger. You wife could hex your gun by tying a knot in her apron string
Keep your wives happy but nail your gun
The original trust but verify

Hello,

A poor man's gun is when he spent all his cash for the dream of his life and now he is poor 😂
Larry
Sorry, just had to do that

A subject I often think about ....affordable , " cheap " muzzleloaders . Sorry , my affinity for the N.W. trade gun comes out in every conversation about flintlock firearms ! LOL ...I just love em for their versatility in feeding ya ... The ways of building any gun , firearm can be done the same way . Figure out what type of firearm you want , stick with that type and then over time buy each part as money becomes available ....lock stock barrel , bolts. B.P. ,trigger guard , etc. etc. The great thing about N.W. guns , sorry , is that you can make all the " furniture " instead of buying it . Ive made many serpent side plates from flat stock . The cast one is only 18 bucks but ....gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes . I want to do a thread about how to make the least expensive N.W. trade possible today ....obviously safely . I have this great original barrel that was given to.me by Ken Netting , 36" so that gun I'll have $230-240 bucks in it .... I have this awesome ORIGINAL ! Civil War rifled musket barrel that in picked up at a flea mark this spring for 10 bucks . Its been used a lot but crazy I'm.gonna make a N.W. gun out of an original barrel that probably was used in the Civil War ! Crazy ! The bore needs smoothed out a bit , just a BIT of rifling still noticeable , won't take too much ....SO ....that cool N.W. gun , .58 , will be made for approx. 250 to 300 bucks ..... See pretty neat !! Darn inexpensive !!! Also I want to go talk to one of the local machinist in the near by small town and see if he would be willing to turn a taper to my measurements on a piece of DOM steel tubing with a .625 I.D. , ie make me a barrel from scratch . I had my friend , a machinist do this for me once years ago but I want to do it again and show folks how to go about it , see if its a lot cheaper than buying a barrel from one of the current barrel makers , hopefully a LOT cheaper too ....we'll see . Will be very interesting . Document the whole build from obtaining the parts , at the cheapest prices and then the construction of the gun .... Be very interesting ....Might help some folks be able to get a useful and affordable historically accurate gun too. That'd be very cool .... :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back