• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possible bag size question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at the Leatherman blackpowder bag web site and was trying to figure out which one to get.

The Woodland Bag is 11" wide and 10" high.

The Eastern Bag is 9.5" wide and 8" high.

For those of you who have one of these bags, which size do you prefer - or stated another way - if you have one of these bags, do you wish you had bought the larger or small size.

The bigger bag might be appropriate if you have a smoothbore and have to carry both shot, wads and round ball.

The smaller bag will work for a rifle if you keep it simple.

Many Klatch

I don`t have either one of those bags, but I think I`d go with the larger one. I keep my shooting necessarys pretty simple, but my pouch seems to always fill up anyway :confused:. Stuff like extra gloves, a hanky, maybe even a sandwich, jerky, etc, seems to end up inside. Handy way to carry stuff, besides pockets.

I have a couple of the woodland bags, percussion stuff in one, flint stuff in the other.
They are big enough to carry all my gear to the range but not so large you want to take it off to shoot there. I have a game bag (which is the eastern type bag but with a different from pocket system). I find it ok for a day in the field with the shotgun (where I don't carry much stuff) but it would be a bit small for me for general use.
If I were to use but one bag it would be the woodland version.
The overall quality of them is very good - I very pleased with mine.

IMHO, those bags seem overly large for carrying the necessities of loading and servicing a rifle.

In my experience, the larger the bag, the more junk one wants to carry, because we feel the need to fill it up. The more junk in the bag, the less likely it is to find the item you need, when you need it.

My home made hunting pouch is 6X8 and it is often too cluttered with junk to quickly find what I need, in a hurry.

And while $150 isn't all that bad of a price, IMHO, you can make a nice bag for a lot less. It isn't rocket science, it's only sewing a coupla pieces of leather together.

I couldn't sew, at all, when I first became interested in ML guns, but now, I sew most of my own clothing and leather gear...and do a pretty decent job of it, if I do say so, myself.
God bless,
J.D.

Yes, keep your shooting pouch small and simple. Use it to carry shooting gear, only the things you'll need on the trail. For lunch or whatever, get a haversack.

I also think that these bags are very large. I prefer to keep a shooting bag with each gun with only the items needed for shooting that particular gun in each bag. It is easier to find things in the bag if it is not full of extra stuff. My current three bags run from about 7 or 8 inches on a side for the rifles to a 7 x 10 for the fowler. Gloves, food, modern shooting muffs & goggles, wallet, car keys - whatever I either need or am required to have with me in addition to the basic items do not go in the shooting bag but in a haversack. Others may prefer a different solution.

I'm another who favors a small bag, and also making it myself. My rifle bag is about 6"x8". There is nothing in it that isn't absolutely necessary for shooting and maintaining my rifle.
Cost? I don't remember. I made my bag over 10 years ago. It is well aged, but still going strong. The cost was only what I paid Tandy Leather for the deer hide.

Rancocas said:
I made my bag over 10 years ago. It is well aged, but still going strong. The cost was only what I paid Tandy Leather for the deer hide.

You paid a premium for your leather from Tandy.
STL leather in St. Louis has good leather at good prices. I used to work about 20 minutes from their warehouse, and would stop in after work to sort through their racks to find the really good stuff.

STL is a mail order warehouse that has a small showroom. I'm sure they have a web page.

I bought enough leather for several pouches at a "close out sale" of one of the rendezvous traders several years ago. I still have enough leather left for a coupla more, but will be building a coupla new rifles and will need new bags and horns to go with them.

God Bless,
J.D.

IMG_0787.jpg

I,too, prefer a small shot pouch. It measures 6x7 and carries a bullet pouch and patches, as well as a flint wallet and screwdriver. With the attached bullet block, starter, and powder measure, I don't even have to go into the pouch unless I need more than 4 shots. That's it. The larger possibles bag contains cleaning kit, tinder box, flint&steel, rations, compass, spectacles and sundry personal items, even dry socks and gloves. If I'm hunting close to the truck or the camp, I usually only carry the shot pouch and then stuff a few essentials into my hunting shirt.

Dodgecity, I like the looks of that shooting bag with the small hatchet, in fact I like the looks of both bags. Is that small hatchet by chance a drywall hammer or something costume made?

Thankyou for the kind words. The ax is a "bag ax" made by Pioneer Arms. They make a couple variations including a spike model. You can google pioneer arms and get their website. Nice folks, too.

Thanks for the reply, I'll google them up in a bit. Looks like you have a nice setup there, I'm just starting to put one together. Right now my shooting bag is one of the brides purses form the 60's or 70's, kind of a small hippie purse with fringe. Not to PC, it has a zipper on top, but it will do for a while.

Yep, that's how I started out, too. My sister in law, who was then my brother in law's girl friend had a fringed purse that with a little work, made a great first shot pouch. Cost me $5 and a lot of begging, but, I got her purse, and she got a new one. That was 35 years ago, and she's still my favorite sister in law.

Are there any good patterns for making your own bag available online???? And with limited ability how hard would a basic one be to make.??

I haven't looked, but, you may very well be able to find a pattern on line. I enjoy making shot pouches, and have made a lot of them for myself, for friends, and for the trade blanket. Madison Grant's book, The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch is a good basic reference book of the basic styles with a lot of good black and white photos of originals. Muzzleloader Magazine frequently has photos and plans, in fact, the most recent one has detailed instructions and plans for a "double" market hunter's bag. You really don't need plans, however, you can experiment with inexpensive posterboard. Cut out the pieces to make a replica of the size and style pouch you want. Staple them together. take it apart if necessary and make the necessary adjustments. When you get it exactly as you want it, use the posterboard parts for your pattern. If you're still not sure, make the first one of canvas to make sure it's what you want before making it of leather. Using this method, with a little patience, you can replicate just about any pouch that you have an illustration of. Just keep everything in the same scale. The shot pouch that I posted the picture of is made of deerskin dyed black. The straps are from a couple old belts I picked up at flea markets, the buckel is home cast of pewter, and the pouch is lined with pillow ticking. The pillow ticking has a few blood stains on it, proof that it was hand sewn by someone of limited dexterity, who had access to a very sharp needle. :haha:

I have the Hunter model which is on the smaller side and am happy with it. I generally tend to pack light so this works well for me.
-Buck

IMHO, the pattern at the link is a little complicated. A real basic hunting pouch can be made with only one piece of leather for the body and flap, folded in roughly thirds, sewn inside out,like Dodgecitie's. Add a half to three quarters of an inch to the dimensions of the body of the bag as a seam allowance, though only about a quarter on an inch will be used for the seam. The excess will taken up when the bag is turned right side out.

The only seams on the basic bag are those on either side of the bag, and the ones attaching the strap to the bag.

IMHO, the use of rings to suspend the bag from the straps is too complicated...and at the risk of being called a nazi, not really historically correct.

It is easier and much less complicated to sew the straps to the back of the bag, near the top.

I also suggest laying out the items you carry for a days shooting, or several days of hunting or trekking, to arrange those items on the back of the bag for sewing small pouches for each item.

I carry these items in open top pouches sewn especially for them. A small 7/8" X 1 3/4" bottle of liquid lube/ bore cleaner, a tin of grease lube/ bore preservative, a tin of patches, adjustable powder measure, and clasp knife. A small, flat, open top pocket is sewn on the front of the bag that contains a forged turnscrew, and another open top pocket large enough to contain a dozen balls and spare flints for use on woodswalks or when small game hunting, where shooting can be fast.

The pouches for the powder measure and clasp knife are long and narrow, and sewn down the length, and just inside the side seams.

The pouch for each item keeps those I frequently use in one location so I know where they are. Separate small pouches allows me to reach those items quickly, without looking.

Balls are more commonly carried in a leather bag inside the hunting pouch, as is a flint wallet, gun cleaning utensils that are necessary but not often used, and a spare mainspring and springcramp.

In my experience, laying out a hunting pouch takes longer than sewing it together. Sew the inside pouches and "extras" on the front and back of the body before the back and front of the pouch are sewn together, inside out.

If you are like me, you will make several hunting pouches before you get one that satisfies your needs. The recommendations I made work well for me. They may not work for you, so experiment with how and where each item is secured and located.

Making hunting pouches can be complicated and time consuming, but it doesn't have to be. And it isn't rocket science. I couldn't sew a single stitch when I began shooting these old guns. I now make all of my clothing and leather gear, as well as many other items I would have never thought of making on my own.

I'm just a short, fat, foureyed, baldheaded old man with no appreciable talent, and if I can make a good hunting pouch, anyone can.

God Bless,
J.D.

Back