• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possible Bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmeyer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been researching possible bags for a few weeks now, but tend to be one of these guys who prefers to see in person before a purchase. The bag I am most interested in is the Woodland bag below. I also plan to go to the spring event at Friendship for the first time next spring. Are there alot of bags for sale at these? I'm wondering if I should just wait and see what I can get there as I can always still order this. Anyone been to the Friendship gathering?
[url] http://www.blackpowderbags.co...Code=TLM&Product_Code=WG-201&Category_Code=SB[/url]

or
[url] http://www.blackpowderbags.co...=TLM&Product_Code=E-703&Category_Code=SB[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
personally i do not like those styles cause everyone has them lol.but its all in what you like and want in a bag and the style you like. :winking: but i hear they are good bags.if you like to see before you buy then you should wait. :thumbsup:

Thanks one feather. I guess my bottom line question would be, is there alot of possible bags for sale at the spring friendship shoot? If so, maybe I would like something completely different there.

thats what i would do if i went there.i would try to find something that looks original :thumbsup:

The top bag is a well made and attractive one made by a man with a good reputation.

My computer could not load the second. Problem is on this end.

CS

Yep, I'm one of'em, I have that bag, it is even better in "person" than the pictures. When I ordered it, I was expecting a well made, high quality bag, it far exceeded my expectations! I've since made my own it is far smaller but it is as well made even if it is ugly as sin, it serves my purposes better.
You can normally spot a leatherman bag from 50 yards, they definately "shine".

Drag'em through the mud a few times...they won't shine anymore.

Preacher :thumbsup:

I was disappointed the first time I saw one of these bags. IMHO the leather is thin, the bag itself is too shallow and it just looks too "store bought". I've seen other products of the Leatherman that I really liked, but the shooting bags that most seem to be enamorated with just aren't one of them.

Kmeyer, another thing you may consider before buying is how historicly accurate do you want your bag to be. The best advice I can give anyone is to leave your money at home for awhile and do your reaserch FIRST. When you know for sure what you want, then dig out the money. Many many of us LOL got into this hobby and bought all kinds of stuff and then found out it wasn't correct by a long shot for the time period we try to portray. If your getting into trekking or going to historical events or Vous, do your research on the time period ya enjoy and then BUY accordingly. YMHS Birdman

In response to your query about Friendship -- yes, you'll find shooting pouches for sale there. Not having ever been in the market for such -- I've made my own or had a friend make them -- I can't vouch for what specific brands you'll find there, but there's lots and lots (and even more lots) of leather goods for sale on both the Commercial and Primitive sides of the road. I've noticed that some, if not all, prices on items I've bought or looked at tend to be about as low as you'll find anywhere, though I'm making a very broad generalization there. But you ought to be able to find a very good pouch, possibly even one that's correct to a time period, if that's the route you're going.

You might already be set on the bag you want, but I also did a lot of research on bags, finally was told by someone on here to look at Calico Jacks, he makes a great looking bag at nearly a third of what the bags you have listed cost, I went with one of his bags and was not sorry one bit. The link to his page is:
[url] http://calicojacks.freehomepage.com/catalog.html[/url]

Good Luck...

:hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the Leatherman style bags, which I do, but dislike the "store-bought" aspect of their appearance, try making your own, on the same pattern. I have a "store-bought" Leatherman bag, but have made myself 3 more using a pattern I made with posterboard, from the original bag. I have about $45 in parts and postage from ordering the parts. It is made of a medium weight buffalo hide.

stampbag1.jpg

Nice work amigo! I like the custom look to it .. not really a "commercial" look .. clean lines and simple! :grin:

Davy

I have one of Gary's bags, like the top one with the hair on the flap, but without the game rings. It does get rode hard and put away wet as they say. Only 2 things I don't much like, there is a back pocket, and even though the button is dished inward, it does like to dig into my thigh (I wear my bag low, average body, (height wise that is) long arms). The other thing I don't care for is that webbing strap. Likes to saw my neck a bit. You can get a leather strap as an option these days. But the bag has held up well.

Tony

It took me about twenty years of looking, trying, buying and selling bage to arive at what I wanted then I had to make it myself. With reasonable care this bag should last me the rest of my life. To repeat the old addage "Go slow slowely"

Back