• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rawhide ball bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Donny said:
A lady was selling ball bags that looked
just like the real thing, kinda two parts, one side bigger than the other, I think made from the real deal. shoulda bought one.

Are you sure she was a Lady? That's not a very 'ladylike' product to deal with. :redface:

She was a sweetie. Sold other leather items. I believe she made them all, artistically very well done.
And yes, it did look like the real thing.
I believe she sold a bunch.
Period correct. Nothing to hold yur nose over.

All my ball bags are Kangaroo scrotums. Easy to buy and cheap. We shoot thousands of them for the pet food and hide industry. Pound for pound one of the toughest leathers available.

The top opening to bag size seems to be ideal for calibre too.. 40 calibre go in smaller bags and just come out neatly one at a time. .54 in larger ones, Same deal.

I wish I could get kangaroo scrotums but they are a bit scarce around these parts. It is hard to find the right size animal scrotum. It has to be the right size and from an animal who has a pendulant scrotum like a bull. But a bull scrotum is waaay too big. A deer scrotum fits tight up against its belly as does a pig scrotum. Both of these can be obtained here but when removed from the animal they do not make a good bag due to their shape. I actually don't remember what the man told me the scrotum came from but I seem to remember something about it being a bull calf....I think. I'm sorry that I traded it off and now wish I had it back. Now, where can I find a kangaroo? :confused: :haha:

Billnpatti said:
...but I seem to remember something about it being a bull calf....I think.

That sounds about right, based on fondling too many in our brandings. :grin:

Those are likely getting harder to find too. Like most ranchers today we're pulling the herd up close for calving, then banding the bull calves almost as soon as they hit the ground, rather than waiting to castrate months later when we brand. Sure one sneaks through now and then if a band slips, but since we're ear tagging at the same time we band the little guys, it's pretty obvious if we missed one in the dark of night.

By the same token, horns are getting harder find since we dehorn calves when we brand.

Back