• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possibles bag, hard or soft?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Terry said... I find that I prefer soft bags for the same reasons. Just not a fan of a stiff bag unless it is designed to wear on a belt. Shoulder hanging bags seem to serve me better when medium to soft. And soft doesn't mean wimpy. I've made several soft bags that have been put through the ringer and haven't ripped one yet.

I've had both. I started with a cheap soft bag which I didn't care for, so I decided to make my own out of some thick cow hide. I found it more accessible and allowed me to make a couple of compartments for my lube tin and patches. It's lasted some 35 years so far!

1729470912198.png

I like very soft. Elk hide is my favorite. Such a pouch fills out in accordance with the amount of stuff in it but gets no larger. But I can see how a hard bag might make it easier to find things faster. Me, I don't put anything in my possibles bag that does not pertain to loading and tending to my rifle. Other items go somewhere else.

I like soft. I make my own and find 2.5 to 3 oz veg tan to be perfect. I always build by turning and I'll say that turning a heavy thick leather bag is extremely difficult no matter how wet they are. They are never soft enough to collapse.

ooooh I deplore the term "possibles bag". It is a shot bag or shot pouch or hunting bag or hunting pouch, or maybe rifle bag, etc. To say "possibles bag" to me is like scraping your fingernails down a chalk board. AAAAH
LOL hehehe. :p No offense intended. I'm just getting more and more crotchy in my old age, and rebelling against a world where I don't belong but am forced to reside. But I really doubt that "possibles bag" was a true historic term. I think it was invented in the 20th century, possibly by film makers.
Yeah, I'm on a crusade. Get rid of that term!

But, anyway, who says a shot pouch has to be made of leather? Downsize a haversack slightly and you have a shot pouch.
As a lifelong hunter, prone to crawl through thickets on my hands and knees, and sometimes taking off on a dead run jumping over logs and rocks for one reason or another (when I was young), I sure do not want a stiff, open bag. Things get lost that way.
I have three bags; each goes with my three primary hunting arms. Percussion and flintlock rifles and flintlock fowler. Two are fairly soft leather. The other, my fowler bag, is canvas. All of them have button closures. I can work the single button with one hand while not looking. Inside, I have the various items in specific locations. I can find what I want just by the feel of it. I made all of my bags myself. One of them is now over 30 years old, and still going strong.

Back