• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possibles bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodfac

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a new possibles bag and would like some pics of your home built efforts...or professionally made ones for that matter too. Do you carry them on the right or left side and do you have any preference for internal pockets. Thanks in advance. Rod

There are two different bags a possibles has your stuff in it Iam right handed so I carry that on my left the shooting has my shooting stuff in it goes on my right with my powder horn if I were left handed it would be the other way around Hope this helps
Have Fun
Phil

Hi Rod....Welcome !!!

If you are going to make your own, I would recommend a couple of books;

The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch, by Madison Grant

Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch, by T. C. Albert

Both are available from TOTW and both have details as well as good pictures for reference....

I shoot right handed and carry my horns and hunting bag on the left side, my hunting knife is in front with my belt axe on my back left hip...if I am carrying a haversack, that is over the back right hip...I don't like anything on my right side, except my gun while hunting to allow me quick, quiet and easy movement...

Rodfac: we have a terminology issue here.... When the black powder shooting revival first got under way a lot of manufacturers called a bullet pouch (aka hunting pouch)- that is,the bag that has a shoulder strap and you put all your shooting accoutrements into- a "possibles bag". That term continues BUT....at the time, a possibles bag was sort of a large square duffle bag that you put all your non-shooting stuff in. I think at least a fair amount of the original "possibles bags" were parfleche and maybe 24" x 18" and 6" thick. Some had short straps- probably to tie to a saddle.
A lot of old references call the hunting pouch a bullet bag or bullet pouch- which is again confusing because a lot of folks today think of a bullet pouch as a small, baseball-sized bag that you put round balls in and store inside the hunting pouch.
Confusing, isn't it?

Thanks to all of you...especially on the terminology...shooting bag was what I had in mind. I'll do a search on that item. It's been a long time since I last shot my .50, and I never built up a complete kit for it...I'm in that process now. Again, thanks for the replies...Rod

HI,

I recently completd this one :

sac22.jpg
[/img]

Jock

Jesus that's just nice!I got a cheapo suede one from october country and been gluein and sewin some stuff on it,i am not a craftsman~That's a dandy!

That is right ! the most important is to have fun while making that kind of stuff !!

Jock

Here's one that I made. It's 3 oz veg tan kitted with beef tallow, codliver oil, and beeswax lined in silveret (cotton/silk mix) with a bear hide flap that is pieced from two legs. The flap is trimmed out with Moroccan leather. I use it mostly for 1830s-50s impressions.
167176_556919028182_54103972_32113062_5938074_n.jpg

165641_556918993252_54103972_32113061_1866927_n.jpg

166373_556918933372_54103972_32113059_7733925_n.jpg

WP_000554.jpg

cody-2.jpg

Here is one of my favorites that I completed awhile back. The body of the bag was sewn at 11 stitches per inch, along with the pockets on the front. The remainder was at 8 per inch.

100_2312.jpg

100_2318.jpg

100_2314.jpg

late to the party- - sorry 'bout that...

i like T.C. Albert's book... it was really an inspiration, and you need not have a huge pile of expensive tools or gadgets to make a really nice bag.

just be careful with all that sharp stuff ... bloodstains do not come out of leather.

:cursing: :redface: :cursing: :redface:

Back