• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possum with Cap and Ball Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flehto said:
Never thought of eating a possum mainly because my wife doesn't like the looks of this weird animal and wouldn't allow one in the house.
She would have agreed with Wm. Blane.

1822, southern Illinois territory:

"Great numbers of Opossums are caught in the woods which surround the spring. This curious animal is eaten by many, and esteemed a delicacy.---- I had several times resolved to taste a piece of possum, having been assured that it was as good as young pig; but just before putting a morsel into my mouth, the thought of the animal's long, naked prehensile tail, was sure to turn my stomach."

Spence

Simple solution...clean, skin and chop off tail before showing it to the Mrs. "Look dear, a rabbit!"

Me wife is a very smart lady...in fact always 2 steps ahead of me. It's not just the rat tail...she thinks the whole possum is weird and could "play" a convincing role in a horror movie.

When a teenager I had a German Shepherd that I used for hunting and he was excellent. Among the many animals he killed were quite a few possum....."playing dead" didn't fool him at all......Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
He could very well be "faking it"...even w/ a bullet to the head. These animals have a mystic aura that's eerie and weird according to my wife....no she doesn't practice the occult, but "feels" possum are from another "time". Years ago when the kids were much younger, she scared the "heebie jeebies" out of them by saying bad things about this animal. Her stories never affected me, but sometimes I wonder why no one ever keeps them as pets...like they do raccoons and de-scented skunks...Fred

Latest posts

Back