• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Post deleted by Claude

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My percussion caps have served me so well for 30+ years thet I have found no need for "209 primers".

YMHS
rollingb

The only bad luck I've had with one is when the Dove changed direction and my trusty Remington 870 with it's #209 primed hull missed by a good 5 feet! :curse: :curse:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Actually, I must admit, I haven't tried anything except Remington, CCI and RWS #11 primers and Navy Arms Musket Caps.

The use of a shotgun primer sounds like it would be difficult to me, but as usual, I'm just showing my ignorance.

As I don't have a In-Line, the only way I've seen to use them is with one of those adapters that fits on a sidelocks drum or patent breech. As I don't an adapter either, my mind conjures up images of having to dis-assemble the adapter just to change the cap, and then having to pry the spent primer out? Even without cold hands and gloves, it sounds kinda like a PITA? :boohoo:

monster,
are you sure you are on the right forum.
don't you want this under "modern muzzleloading". :hmm:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :hmm:
just a thought!!!!!!

I've used #11 primers of all types and ages including some very old Italian made CVA caps and have never had a misfire in 25 years. I shoot Pyrodex exclusively and it's supposed to be harder to ignite. Not true in my experience. I use the new Remington caps that are advertised to be hotter than the old ones when I'm hunting and don't want to risk a misfire. For practice and fun shooting I use the vintage CVA caps. I was given a brick of them by a clerk at a gun store who thought they were too old to be reliable. I shoot a .50 caliber T/C Hawken, it could be that other brands of rifle are harder to ignite and might need hotter 209 primers. Otherwise I think it's just advertising hype. Same goes for musket caps. Don't see a need for them.

I've used #11 primers of all types and ages including some very old Italian made CVA caps and have never had a misfire in 25 years. I shoot Pyrodex exclusively and it's supposed to be harder to ignite. Not true in my experience. I use the new Remington caps that are advertised to be hotter than the old ones when I'm hunting and don't want to risk a misfire. For practice and fun shooting I use the vintage CVA caps. I was given a brick of them by a clerk at a gun store who thought they were too old to be reliable. I shoot a .50 caliber T/C Hawken, it could be that other brands of rifle are harder to ignite and might need hotter 209 primers. Otherwise I think it's just advertising hype. Same goes for musket caps. Don't see a need for them.

:agree:.
209's are made for shotguns.
Then the inline manufacturer's decided they needed 209's to improve their ignition.

When I decided to set aside my Remington 700's and go backwards in technology to sidelock Percussions, they use #11 caps, so that's what I used;

When I decided to go further backwards in technology and use Flintlocks, they use black english or french amber flints, so that's what I use;

For me, if I used modern 209 primers on sidelock percussions it would miss the whole point.
It would be like deciding to start shooting flintlocks but using modern made synthetic 'duraflints' instead of real black english flints, french amber flints,[url] etc...again[/url], it would miss the whole point.

Furthermore, IMO, it would be misleading for me to go around and tell people I filled my deer tags with a flintlock, if I wasn't using real flints...the ignition is the only difference in the rifles...indeed, the whole point of the differences in the rifles is the old fashioned, traditional muzzleloader forms of ignition.
:m2c:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back