• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder behind lockplate fix???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
If a rifle has a big enough gap (at the pan/barrel junction), what does one do to remedy the problem. Can a guy make some sort of gasket to keep powder from dribbling down behind the lockplate?

All detailed suggestions welcomed!

The solution depends on the problem. In most cases the lock needs to be inlet until the pan and barrel are a good fit.

I built a Lyman GPR one time where the barrel was not flat for the first two inches from the breech. In that case I had to shape the pan to fit against the barrel. That also required some more inletting.

I guess you could also have a situation where the barrel is too high or the lock too low allowing powder to escape out the bottom of the pan. I'd try to inlet the barrel to the proper depth for that.

Salt

A simple,temporary fix is to put a bead of beeswax accross the top of the lock inlet along the barrel and then install the lock. Remove any excess that protrudes. You will have to redo this often. The permanent fix has been mentioned above.

sky chief, check the area where the inside of the pan fence rests next to the side of the barrel flat. I've had a couple flinters where that fence edge stood just proud enough to prevent the rest of the lock from seating correctly in the inlet. just had to gently grind/file that edge down a bit till it allowed proper alignment. May not be the solution to your problem but might be worth checking. Good luck, ric.

If for some reason inletting deeper doesn't work, flatten out a round ball to the thickness of the gap, glue it to the pan/bolster with Black Max loctite and shape it to the profile of the pan.

Duane

Latest posts

Back