• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Charge for EuroArms 1861 Springfield?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russ T Frizzen said:
According to the Euroarms web-site, the '61 has a .58 caliber bore, which is correct for a Springfield.

I noticed that too. They also list their Enfields as .58. If you look at the Dixie 3 Band Enfield
by Euroarms on their website, it says it's a .58
cal. .577 bore, .589 groove AND it takes a .577 minie!! Go figure. My 2001 catalog says the Euroarms Springfield '55 is a .58 with a .577 bore. I wonder if they were using one bore size for all their muskets back then. Anyway, it can be perplexing for someone just getting started and
confirms the need to measure the bore, which in itself can be a PIA with three grooves.

Duane

You hit the nail on the head Duane, there is a lot of variation in the bore on these. I have heard of bore sizes ranging from .573 to .583, with the need of a minie no more than .002 under bore size it can be trying at times to get the right one. Mine is pretty close to .581 and a .580 seems like it will work well.

Back