• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Flask repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this worth fixing? Found the spring at Track of the wolf $11.24 shipped.

Attachments

• 20240902_104148.jpg
    20240902_104148.jpg
    937.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240902_104157.jpg
    20240902_104157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
What is the 'skinny' at the top of the flask? Is that corrosion or what? If all is ok with the copper, Yep, it is worth fixing. I've replaced springs before, had the lever pin break on one and repaired it. Had a Colt flask like the one you show have the side split one time. Gently clamped it and soldered with some Force 44 from Brownells, cleaned up the exterior, can hardly see the fine solder line on the side. That was some time ago and still holding.

What is the 'skinny' at the top of the flask? Is that corrosion or what? If all is ok with the copper, Yep, it is worth fixing. I've replaced springs before, had the lever pin break on one and repaired it. Had a Colt flask like the one you show have the side split one time. Gently clamped it and soldered with some Force 44 from Brownells, cleaned up the exterior, can hardly see the fine solder line on the side. That was some time ago and still holding.
Its just what brass does. Tarnish? The rest of it is in good condition.

My flask split at the seem about fifteen years ago at an Eastern. I got some tape from the medic and wrapped it to get through the Eastern until I got home. But it held so well that it is still taped and holding up well. I am of the old school, fix it if you can.

My flask split at the seem about fifteen years ago at an Eastern. I got some tape from the medic and wrapped it to get through the Eastern until I got home. But it held so well that it is still taped and holding up well. I am of the old school, fix it if you can.
I might try to fix it before ordering a spring. I’m pretty handy at fixing things. I’m from Texas, I’m “fixing” to try it though.

Its just what brass does. Tarnish? The rest of it is in good condition.

Those Colt style flasks as yours is are made of copper with brass heads. Some such as the larger 'Peace' flasks are made of brass. I've some of both metals. Keep them wiped once in a while and they stay tarnish free. My 52 year old Colt flask I soldered the seam on other than a few very small dings and scratches is like new yet as far as metal condition. What is the actual problem with your flask, FWIW the springs are an easy replacement.

Those Colt style flasks as yours is are made of copper with brass heads. Some such as the larger 'Peace' flasks are made of brass. I've some of both metals. Keep them wiped once in a while and they stay tarnish free. My 52 year old Colt flask I soldered the seam on other than a few very small dings and scratches is like new yet as far as metal condition. What is the actual problem with your flask, FWIW the springs are an easy replacement.
Just the spring. Everything else looks good.

I might try to fix it before ordering a spring. I’m pretty handy at fixing things. I’m from Texas, I’m “fixing” to try it though.
Duh---didn't look close enough at your spring picture. I tried fixing up a spring once that had 'lost its spring'. Would have been easier to thread a needle blind. Yours being broke is trash time. More 'harmonious outcome' just buying a new one and installing. Making a serviceable spring or repairing that one is alot of 'wailing and gnashing of teeth'. Haven't priced those Colt flasks for awhile or spring but the cost of a spring is way cheaper route than buying a new flask or trashing that one that is easily fixable. Bought a smaller type Colt flask once without spring and spout that the antique dealer store owner thought was junk ($5), a new spring brought it usable, already had a number of spouts to screw in.

Latest Track of the Wolf prices: Colt style flask as yours-$47---Spring for same flask $4.29

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back