• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn safety: Watch out!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosterf106

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Last weekend I was firing up a .58 Zouave rifle. While on the benchrest, I typically...for 40 years now...leave a powder horn to the right, on the table, about 18" away from the gun, and forward to the gun. Flint, percussion, always the same. I ALWAYS make sure the horn is plugged, and facing away. Never had a problem. I make the horns myself with bison horn, oak base plug hand fitted, and sealed with epoxy, and 4 to 6 small screws securing the base plug. After building the horn, I check it with suction to be sure it's airtight.
This horn was full of FFG, about a half pound of it.
I fired two shots with the percussion Zouave and reloaded.
Upon firing the third shot, there was an explosive flash...blinding...and I stumbled off my seat. My glasses were burned, hair on fire...I was sure the gun had exploded, but it was the powder horn. The explosion was instantaneous with the discharge of the rifle. There was no hint of a delay.
I have 2nd degree burns of my face and the backs of my hands. Pretty lucky considering.
The lesson? I examined the horn. It was split longitudinally. The base was secure, the spout plug was still in where it was supposed to be.
But there was evidence of a stress crack at one of the screws at the base, and it looks like this is where the ignition was. The Zouave will often spit a telltale spark off to the side, and somehow...in a "perfect storm"...it landed on that exact spot and "BOOM!" The horn had been in storage for a year, and I think it simply had a minor defect that I did not see.
I have heard about gun range powder horn explosions, but they are always because the shooter left the cap off, or was careless with a "powder trail" spilled on the table. Not true with me. I religiously re-plug my horns, and blow away any loose powder, no matter how little.
So a word to the wise...to my fellow shooters. Always expect that everything will go wrong. Keep the horn and priming devices well out of the way.
And, no. I have no apprehension about shooting. I will be at the range this weekend again, only a little bit more careful. (And all of you will be happy to know that the Zoauve was uninjured in the blast)

rooster

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a bummer.

I think it is policy now at many of our local ranges to have all powder and caps at a separate bench when using black powder behind the shooting line.

I'm glad to hear you're OK. That certainly must have been exciting to say the least! I saw a video recently where a fellow was recommending that you NOT glue the plug into a horn in order help prevent splintering of the horn. The idea was to allow the plug to separate without splintering the horn. Either way you get a big flash!!

Hi,

I am glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing your story. I think I will make sure to move the horn or can of powder off the shooting bench when shooting on the public range.

Michael

thanks for sharing the story ... glad to hear you weren't hurt too badly ...

i'll keep my horn well to the rear in future ...

again, thanks!

meanmike said:
Hi,

I am glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing your story. I think I will make sure to move the horn or can of powder off the shooting bench when shooting on the public range.

Michael

X2! Really glad you weren't hurt more than you were! :thumbsup:

Second degree burns on face and hands doesn't sound "OK" to me.
I'm glad you wrote about it to warn us. I just epoxied in a bushing and plunger valve in my horn today. :hmm:

I have been preaching powder horn safety for quite a few years now. Try to discourage lanyards on powder horns and priming horns but most don't take it seriously. Aggravated a bunch of shooters at a match several years ago when I would not allow lanyards!

your exp brings up a whole new angle. Thanks for posting it👍

Wow,definitely the "perfect storm" scenario. I have only shot at one range where you shot off the same bench that your equipment was stored on and I was constantaly paranoid about where the powder was in relation to the shooter (I was with my son). Most other ranges I have been at have the loading area separate from the firing line. Keep those burn areas clean, infection can be a real problem if the skin is broken from blisters etc.. I guess you'll be making a new horn?

roosterf106 said:
But there was evidence of a stress crack at one of the screws at the base, and it looks like this is where the ignition was.
I'm glad you were not hurt more than you were.

I'm wondering if the crack was large enough to allow a spark in, perhaps it was visible (or leaking powder) prior to the accident?

Maybe on a Blackpowder range only, not a public range! Most public RO can't keep modern shooters from doing stuff they shouldn't and this guy was doing something he had been doing for years. Seems like where ever he has been shooting didn't seem to have a problem. I am just happy for the wake up call and will be even more careful from now on.

Michael

Rooster;
That's scary! So glad you had glasses on and hope the burns heal soon, well, and as painlessly as possible.

Thanks for sharing this important cautionary tale.

Thanks for posting this. Sorry it happened to you. There are a whole bunch of folks who will think a bit more about what they are doing next time they shoot. Glad you had glasses on. I work on a public modern pistol range, the number of people who don't take wearing eye protection seriously is unbelievable. In fact I seem to remember someone on one of the m.l. forums arguing about it with me a few years back.
Please heal quickly and well.

Seems like buff horn would be more prone to splitting as it is actually more like hair than horn.But i am sure any horn can split.But i have no exsperience yet with either,could you make a metal stand for a horn that sticks in the ground?

[---]

Latest posts

Back