• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horns or Flasks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two questions, one more serious than the other...

1. Does the term "fresh horn" apply to a green horn? Can you scrimshaw a horn while it is still on the cow?
rolleyes.gif

2. Once the horn is engraved, how do you apply the ink?

Do you swab it on with a sponge and whipe off the surface excess or do you follow every line with ink on a needle?

With question #1 I think you and the cow would have to enjoy a very "special" relationship before this might be possible.
As for the not so serious question, I use permanent markers then wet sand over the work with 600 grit wet+dry paper.

Thanks, I want to try my hand at scrimshawing and was wondering how to go about doing it...

Back