• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Inc. doing a little price gouging?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has probably been said in this thread ( didn’t read all posts) but caps only cost that much because folks pay it. I haven’t had any trouble getting caps, but I keep reading about people spotting them and buying a bunch when they don’t need them. We are doing this to ourselves, gentlemen. Stop paying crazy prices and stop buying stuff when you don’t need it simply because it’s there and things will normalize…eventually. I’m not pointing fingers at anyone here and I’d never try tell anyone how to spend the money they earned, but when folks pay it and panic buy it only fuels the flames.

Latest issue of Guns & Ammo has column by Keith Wood as to why there's a looming shortage of modern powder for re-loaders; nitro cellulose! Supply being used up by Ukraine war, and no supply coming in from Russia or China anymore; I stocked up on .22RF after the "Hillary Scare" and don't regret it; guys who 'hoard' are only doing it because there's no reliable supply. The artillery shells being sent to Ukraine are using up tons of nitro modern powder.

This has probably been said in this thread ( didn’t read all posts) but caps only cost that much because folks pay it. I haven’t had any trouble getting caps, but I keep reading about people spotting them and buying a bunch when they don’t need them. We are doing this to ourselves, gentlemen. Stop paying crazy prices and stop buying stuff when you don’t need it simply because it’s there and things will normalize…eventually. I’m not pointing fingers at anyone here and I’d never try tell anyone how to spend the money they earned, but when folks pay it and panic buy it only fuels the flames.
You have a valid point. Trouble is, the way things are in the world, "normalization" isn't something one can count on!

I would never ever think that cap prices will fall. It's not got to happen. They like the profits & they really don't give a hiccup about black powder shooters/hunters. I used to buy caps at .69 a tin of 100, where is the prices now !

million
This has already been discussed and member posted what CCI told them. CCI said they are shipping millions of primers everyday. But where are they? Are distribution centers holding them? Are they being put on the shelves? Just like the "ammo shortage" a few years back. Right after the "shortage" there were tons of ammo on the shelves, online, at gun shows. Just like diamonds are so rare and that makes them expensive. There are warehouses full of diamonds ready to be cut. There is no real shortage. Just like the military munition shortage, there isn't one.
millions of guys 65-85 buying all the primers

Yeah, I just gotta wonder. BTW, a column in the latest Guns & Ammo details a looming powder shortage; the nitrocellulose kind, not our beloved Black Powder! Much is going into the Wars over seas.
Makes a person wonder, the nation that supplied the material to operate the arsenal of democracy cannot supply enough munitions for a minor conflict and its own recreational shooting requirements. I miss the WW11 generation, folks who just knuckle down and got things done.

Makes a person wonder, the nation that supplied the material to operate the arsenal of democracy cannot supply enough munitions for a minor conflict and its own recreational shooting requirements. I miss the WW11 generation, folks who just knuckle down and got things done.
I am making a assumption that you like me are a boomer, as such for the most part we as a generation demanded more for less, Then our parents. We worked less hours and demanded more pay so we could afford more stuff. And while we did that we told our children to go to college and the government would give them money and now they don’t think they should have to work for less money because the government gives it to them. This isn’t all of them but a large percentage of them and since covid it’s worse. The number one employer here can’t get employees at $20 plus a hour with free healthcare because the kids don’t like the job and they want more money.

Flints also are getting very expensive and very few knap them so the supply is volatile.

That’s why matchlocks make a lot of sense these day. A roll of cotton rope and a large sack of stump remover can give one hundreds or thousands of shots for in a matchlock for only a few bucks.

Latest posts

Back