• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Kegs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laney1566

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a problem with storing Powder in kegs?
Should the Keg be lined in some way to prevent moisture? Or is it simply illegal? With Goex supposedly going over to plastic containers, I would be interested in making or buying a powder keg.

There are a few limited sources to buy powder in bulk packaging. I would suggest leaving the powder in the plastic bag its shipped in, and simply putting that bag in your "Keg". If you don't want the plastic bag in the keg, then you want to coat the inside of the keg with Beer makers tar(?)--( that is not the name of the stuff, but that is the area where you look to find it). The "tar" is used in mugs, small buckets, and small kegs to seal them for carrying all kinds of liquids.

I would also use a very good sealer on the outside, all to keep as much moisture out of the keg as possible.

I don't know what the issue is with plastic containers. Swiss and Grafs has been selling black in plastic for several years, with no problems.

Hmmmm, are Y'all turning into authentinazis? :v :rotf:

leadpot said:
Should the Keg be lined in some way to prevent moisture? Or is it simply illegal? With Goex supposedly going over to plastic containers, I would be interested in making or buying a powder keg.

Your powder is better off in a plastic bottle.

Dan

Wood absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. That is one of the reasons kegs had to be turned or rotated... to prevent the powder from caking. From the early 19th c., the best powder was sold in tins, which cost as much as the powder in them.

Wood powder kegs are nice for display, but skip them for real storage. BTW, powder kegs did not have large bung holes in the side.

leadpot said:

You could go about it that way L&C did. The powder containers they carried were made of lead, enough lead to use up the powder stored in them.

Those old Army Surplus ammo cans make a good place to store powder. A can that was used to hold 20MM ammo is stout. I have bought powder bulk in a bag and then I had to find a place to keep a plastic bag with 25 pounds of powder. Having the bag wrapped in airtight steel always made me feel better.

Many Klatch

Real powder kegs are still made but will likely be both the most expensive and least practical storage for actual use. The correct brass/copper banded kegs look great for display purposes (I would love to have a couple) but are costly and not as moisture resistant as any number of modern substitutes. Search for a previous thread on black powder storage.

Black Hand, do you have any information on the size of the lead containers. I have been wanting to make a couple and haven't been able to find any dimensions or drawings.

Many Klatch

This is what we use for display. Both deal and oak

Note the screw plug
Keg.jpg

KegLabel.jpg

Many Klatch said:
Black Hand, do you have any information on the size of the lead containers. I have been wanting to make a couple and haven't been able to find any dimensions or drawings.

Many Klatch

Sorry, But I can't help you with the dimensions. Some of the L&C groups might be able to point you in the right direction...
Maybe the Smithsonian has one hidden away?

Pichou---
Where do you get your labels? My powder keg is similar, banded with willow, though, and has a DuPont label. I've been wanting to replicate those labels on the paper of flints ever since I first saw them at the Museum of the Fur Trade.

Rod

Buddy o' mine makes the labels. he's gonna give a talk on them at NAVC.

You do AFC/Chouteau? He's got some labels for that, but mostly NWCo and related.

The oak keg is nicer. Kilby says the kegs were deal, elm, and recycled oak, so the other keg is recycled oak. The keg label is back dated from a 1830's/40's one. Pigou was a major supplier of powder, incl. the NWCo.

Appreciate all the responses. I just thought it would be kinda neat. Guess it's not really practical though. Perhaps outfitters will see the need to make cans to hold the goex. Perhaps Brass or steel. Wait....that would be a bomb right? lol

Note the screw plug

That was the first thing to catch my eye! I'm wondering how to go about threading a wooden plug? :confused: I'm working on a powder horn where I've already threaded the opening on the horn spout and want to make a wood screw in spout but can't seem to get anywhere with the threads. I have not tried oak yet and maybe therein lies the solution??? :confused:

Any help appreciated

Oak actually chips really easy when you thread it. Hard maple would be better.

Maple, Beech, even birch can be used for pegs, that can be threaded. You find and buy large threaded dies and taps from Woodcraft, or similar suppliers of wood cutting tools. Look for woods that have tight grain, but not open grain like Ash, or oak. They splinter too easy to use for this purpose. There are many foreign," exotics" sold here in the USA than can also be threaded and used. Ebony is one. The native hornbean, or " iron wood" is similar in toughness.

Latest posts

Back