• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder & Lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorren68

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How much powder and ball do you carry on a typical days hunt? Do you carry only enough for 3-5 shots or do you carry your full bag and horn? I started out carring my horn and bag, but soon realized I had way too much stuff for a days hunt. I tried carring enough stuff for 3-4 shots in a small pouch, but it did not feel right (Too much like when I used to hunt with an in----.

I typically carry a couple of speedloaders and I keep a small powder flask, some patches and a few extra balls in my fanny pack for just in case. I agree, I don't want to be carrying a bunch of stuff when history tells my that a couple of shots is usually enough.

Jeff

What are you hunting??

Deer, I have multiple tags so usually enough for 3 shots...

Squirrels, usually a few more, like a dozen or so.

No real need for more than that.

for my hunt i carried nothing but my rifle and a monopod. i onley had one deer tag though.

-Matt

I carry a small horn (45 shots +/-) and eight patched balls in ball blocks.

Another 20 balls in a pouch.

WAY more than I need, but I always carry the same gear whether hunting or target shooting.

Some days I go out the back door with just the horn - that has a three shot ball block on the strap and a measure hanging from the neck.

With a smoothbore: wads and shot for 12 shots and six paper round ball cartridges.

Well right now since I have a .32 I carry a day flask that so far depending on load has about 50 -70 loads and a ball bag that started out with 100 rb patch material ext. In the bag. Only wieghs. Cpl pounds. Need to check how many balls are left after 3 yrs of hunting small game probably down to 80 balls now.

A full horn with 25 or so balls, 3 extra in loading block...

Never used them all but you just never know what you might run into in the woods...I might even want to have a little shooting session when rambling about...

I carry my horn and bag. Probably enough powder for 50 shots and 25 or so balls. That's what I have in there all the time so that's what goes hunting with me.

whether rifle or smoothie, I hunt and go to shoots exactly the same....full powder horn and ball bag....why change for hunting when I have been "practicing" all summer for hunting...

I dont change my load either...target load and hunting load are the same, for the same reason as above.....

Ranger

I carry 4 patched balls in a ball block and 4 pre-measured powder charges in plastic tubes while deer hunting. I have a small brass priming flask with enough 4f to change my prime several times if necessary,and also carry an extra flint or 2 just in case. This is for a day hunt,if I were going to camp for the week or something like that I would carry more.

For deer I usually carry 4 or 5 extra ball, prelubed patches and either 4 to 5 premeasured powder containers or a day horn.

For squirrel I carry maybe a dozen or two of ball & patches along with a day horn.

I carry a loading block with three patched balls , and three premeasured powder charges.But then I only hunt on the farm , or neighbor's farm so I never more than 1/2 mile from the shop. :idunno:

This is how I hunt 98% of the time anymore. Unless a small game season is open, I only cary 4-5 roundballs. and at least half a powder horn. If small game are fair game, I double the roundballs, but nothing else changes.

For big game hunts I have a simple canvas backpack so I can get a load of meat out. I carry Game bags, camara and snacks. Game bags go on the meat, snacks get eaten and camara is in a small case, backpack is empty, in goes the meat!!

CopyofTrkyHunt2011.jpg

Back