• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin Martin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'll begin by saying I have no flintlock experience, but plan on changing that.So if this is a stupid question, forgive me.My question is this.Can I use FFFG powder as pan powder?I cannot find FFFFG anywhere, and I have read that is the proper powder to use.I can find FFFG and FFG powder, although finding actual black powder is next to impossible around here.If FFFG won't work, where can I get FFFFG? Thanks.

FFFG will work just fine as a primer. FFFFG is a little faster ignition but for most purposes you won't notice the differance. Just make sure that you don't put too much in the pan when priming from you main horn. 3gr. is about all you would need.

Yep, I've used 3fg exculsively never wanting to spend the extra bucks on a "special" can of powder simply to prime with. I even use 3fg as my main charge in my 50cal and will use it in my shotguns as well. Just drop your loading specs. buy around 10% to make up for the faster powder. :thumbsup:

Yes, for sure. It can depend on the strength of the lock (and sparks). I had a Bess that I used 2F for prime and main charge and it was a very sure-fire lock. It also had a 1-1/8" wide flint and a thumb sized mainspring. I use 3F in my .54 (with a 7/8" wide flint) because I like the simplicity of one powder for both. It is generally recommended that you tone down your normal 2F load when swapping with 3F by 5 or 10% as 3F is a little peppier (or more powder fits in the measure due to the smaller grains). Some claim 3F is less susceptable to moisture than 4F and is a better choice for priming.

A friend of mine used to take 3f and grind it up with a Mortar and Pestle to make a very fine Priming powder.It was more like 7f and was very fast igniting.I'm not sure how he made out hunting in damp weather,he was most likely in the camp when it rained. :grin:

I've used both 3fff and 4ffff and I'm no expert
on F/L by any means but I cannot honestly tell
a difference. For sure as advised DO NOT
overfill the pan. M2C
snake-eyes :hmm:

although finding actual black powder is next to impossible

If you are shooting a flinter you will have to get black powder. That other stuff just don't work in a flint gun.
Old Charlie

Must agree, 3F will work fine, I use 2f to prime, and these larger locks are still awfully fast!
The finer the prime the quicker it soaks up moisture, as others on here have noted.

I buy mine at Log Cabin Supply at Lodi, they have Goex in all sizes. 15.00 a lb, the last I bought it. You can use 3fff if you want. Dilly

You can always put together an order to[url] http://www.powderinc.com/[/url]
They've got good prices on REAL black powder even adding in the HazMat fee it's still cheaper then what my local dealer charges for a Lb. of powder. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Benjamin Martin said:
I'll begin by saying I have no flintlock experience, but plan on changing that.So if this is a stupid question, forgive me.My question is this.Can I use FFFG powder as pan powder?I cannot find FFFFG anywhere, and I have read that is the proper powder to use.I can find FFFG and FFG powder, although finding actual black powder is next to impossible.
If I understand your question correctly, are you asking if any kind of powder, (Pyrodex, 777, American Pioneer, etc.) in FFFG will work in the pan of a flinter, and you cannot locate real black powder? The reason you can't find FFFFG in these substitutes is that they will not work in a flinter, either in the pan, or main charge, be it FFFFG, FFFG, or FFG. You need real black powder, Goex, or another brand. And yes, FFFG in the pan, and FFFG, or FFG in the main charge works fine, as long as it is real black powder.

TN.Frank said:
You can always put together an order to[url] http://www.powderinc.com/[/url]
They've got good prices on REAL black powder even adding in the HazMat fee it's still cheaper then what my local dealer charges for a Lb. of powder. :thumbsup:

I was in the area Tuesday afternoon and stopped in at Powder Inc on the way home from a jobsite visit. The frenzy Jerry was in - sorting cans of powder into custom orders, tagging each box with the proper ID's and documentation and sealing them shut for shipment to an anxiously awaiting customer - was a sight for sore eyes. He was extremely busy, but still had the time to chat about the different powders he has available and their uses in different BP firearms. He knows his powders and he knows the guns they are to be used in. I will order from him again. If I am passing by Clarksville and am able to stop in again, all the better. Powder Inc's prices are good, the staff is knowledgeable, they will ship to anywhere in the country they legally can and there really is no substitute for real BP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback.I did plan on using actual black powder, but didn't know substitutes wouldn't work.I was more worried about the proper granulation for priming powder, which everyone seems to agree that FFFG is OK to use.Thanks again, and thanks for the patience.

Back