• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim/Iowa

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently tried some triple 7 pellets 2 or 100 gr.. I found that I needed to clean after every shot. I was sighting in at the bench. I have used "clear shot before and could get multiple (4-5) before running a wet patch down. Is Clear Shot still around, does any one else have experience with it?
Jim

I never had any luck with Clear Shot. It is very under powered. I have much better luck with Pinnacle 3f or American Pioneer Powder in 3f. It shoots real good out of my sidelock cap locks.

Actually good old Goex seems to work just fine for me. I shoot a lot of it and seldom have to swab the barrel. If I do the fowling is always nice and soft and comes out easy.

I was shooting some maxiball and Goex 2f in my Renegade today, and never swabbed the barrel for 12 shots. Accuracy was excellent.

are you using pellets in a side lock or one of them new fangled things that we don't talk about? i use triple 7 3f in all my caplocks and don't have to swab the barrel. accuracy is topnotch.

My experience with clear shot is very bad, like picking my ball up off the ground at 80 yds on a 100 yd range when the darn thing ran out of gas. When I did hit the paper, it gave me nice groups.
If you want to continue with it, it is now called pinoneer powder.

For me I went to 777 granular FFg.

How do I get ahold of American pioneer powder? here before you can reload the barrel starts rusting(close to no joke) 2 shots of that and then use bp all day 1 or2 shots before you stop and it wont rust for a month! And it is underpowered,this is/was clean shot not clear shot. I tryed clear shot, one shot, gave it to the kid to make firecrakers dont think it was much good at that. fred

I've shot clean shot and Pyrodex with a percussion rifle with a patented breech and couldn't get any shots to go off after one or two shots. Switched to Goex and have never had any problem since. Thought the primers were the problem, thought maybe the gun was no good, turned out the problem was the powder.

Signed,
Learned the hard way.

FWIW I use American Pioneer Powder in my Mowrey when running the snowshoe biathlons and I have zero complaints about it. 70grs of FFF with a dry-lubed patch and roundball and I can shoot all day without swabbing the barrel. 1" groups @ 50 yards too! And ... yes, it'll stay on paper at 100 yards. I've never had any complaints about power with it, but I don't use it for hunting.

Back