• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powex powder? Anybody knows?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonibaruch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Pedersoli sells in Italy this powder.
I wonder if anybody knows it and has ever used it.

Tb

Never heard of it!
Send me a case and I'll try it :grin: :grin:
I do hope that some manufacturer will supply a viable powder, that hazmat won't be able to rip us off, not to mention primers.
Many places primers are $6 a can, where as one hundred 22's are $5. What gives?
With this new economy, where well founded companies are going under, like GM and Chrysler...GOOD!
Maybe others will learn, you can't screw the public forever and get away with it.
Old Ford

Tonibaruch said:
Pedersoli sells in Italy this powder.
I wonder if anybody knows it and has ever used it.

Tb
Never heard of it...and are you sure that's the correct spelling...I couldn't get a hit on Google.

Also, can't find it listed on Pedersoli's website.

I've never heard of it, but I'm sure Europe has different brand names than we have here in the States. Also it could be a powder we're familiar with, but being sold under a different brand name. That's common for many products.

POWEX is a trademark made by german firm WANO. It is supposed to be similar to GOEX. I've never used it, but these WANO powders are real good bp. Graf's and Schützen are also from WANO.

Regards

Kirrmeister

polvereNera_Powex.jpg

It's mentioned on page 7 of this PDF from Pedersoli.
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/img/pdf/manualsEn.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Kirrmeister said:
POWEX is a trademark made by german firm WANO. It is supposed to be similar to GOEX. I've never used it, but these WANO powders are real good bp. Graf's and Schützen are also from WANO.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Thanks.
Could it be a good powder.

On the Pedersoli leaflet there is a statement I find a bit strange. What does mean, in the opinion of the honorable experts of this group, that this powder develop same velocities as the Swiss powder but with less pressure?

Is this possible?

I doubt that it gives the same velocities as Swiss powders do. Goex is about 10% lower in velocity. If the Powder is similar to Goex, it only makes sense that its not going to give you the performance that Swiss powder does. The only way you are going to know exactly what the performance is of the two powders, compared to one another, is to shoot similar loads, over a Chronograph, in your gun.

In testing Goex vs. Swiss powders, my brother fired several different tests over his Chronograph. He found that Swiss was definitely the faster powder, than GOEX. However, when he fired both Powders using OP wads in his .40 caliber target rifle,(1.) the difference in velocity narrowed between the two powder, and (2.)GOEX powder burned as cleanly as did the Swiss. He was not expecting either result.

The testing suggests that the added weight of the OP wad, and the slight delay added to the barrel time raises the temperature of the burning powder in the barrel enough to cause these two effects. There was a slight increase in velocity in Both Powders using the OP wads under the PRB, but the increase with the GOEX was greater relative to velocity achieve with the same powder charge and just a PRB.

Tonibaruch said:
Kirrmeister said:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Thanks.

On the Pedersoli leaflet there is a statement I find a bit strange. What does mean, in the opinion of the honorable experts of this group, that this powder develop same velocities as the Swiss powder but with less pressure?

Is this possible?

too many variables to say IMO. with a heavy PRB in a large bore and long barrel maybe true when useing 2F instead of 3F.
Paul V may weigh in on this que.

Blizzard of 93 said:
Tonibaruch said:
Kirrmeister said:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Thanks.

Is this possible?

too many variables to say IMO. with a heavy PRB in a large bore and long barrel maybe true when useing 2F instead of 3F.
Paul V may weigh in on this que.

So, the meaning is more or less that the powder is more "progressive". Does not send a fast "kick" but at the end of the 32' barrel the ball reached the same velocity.

Like, say, a bigger granulation.

Antonio,
Why not try the POWEX and let us know your
results. I try about anything that comes along
as long as it is B/P. Always return to GOEX....just because. It's American made,I get good results,and I can find and buy it at a
reasonable price. :2
snake-eyes :hmm:

snake-eyes said:
Antonio,
Why not try the POWEX and let us know your
results. I try about anything that comes along
as long as it is B/P. Always return to GOEX....just because. It's American made,I get good results,and I can find and buy it at a
reasonable price. :2
snake-eyes :hmm:

Of course I'll try it.
But as I am at the beginning of my learning curve, I am a bit cautios in my first purchases of powder. Buying one of two kilos now could mean being stuck for it for long time: once I'll have developed the right charges on the various distances and projectiles it would be a pain to do it again with a new powder.

So I am inquiring on quality and also, on a different channel, on availability. In my town, we are six weeks now and no swiss powder (the only powder I always used in my first visits at the range). Pow-ex came back on the shelves, but I don't want to risk to stick with a powder which appears and disappears, so I'll try to clarify this before, with other shooters.

As my direction is medium/long range target shooting, nothing against a progressive powder. I used swiss N°2 (fff) almost exclusively with light loads for 50m. Experiments with heavier loads and heavier projectiles resulted in heavy recoil, loss in accuracy and perhaps a bit dangerous pressures.

Buying my first can I'll go for Swiss N°3 (ff) or Pow-ex ff, or both :grin:

Latest posts

Back