• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB High Shoulder Shot Field Results - Whitetail Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It truly seems that you go on the defensive when the poster doesn't agree w/ you? I've been deer hunting for 70 years w/ excellent results and very little lost meat and really don't need "outdoor lab results" that don't consider meat loss...in fact you don't even "gut" the deer you give away, so don't know the amount of lost meat. Experimentation on live animals hopefully kills quickly. Do read your posts, though.... :grin:....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
roundball said:
Kodiak13 said:
The only thing I would like to add is shooting at this area has one flaw, if you happen to shoot forward of the mark you will have a wounded deer on your hands.
Yes, same could be said for a heart shot that someone puts too far back and it becomes a gut-shot...shot placement is always a high priority.

From your "testing" it's very clear that the high shoulder shot is very effective at immediately dispatching a deer. In fact, you'll probably now say a .45 has "whompability" :wink:

I would agree with Kodiak's point, however, that there is probably less margin for error with the high shoulder aim point than a center lung aim. You are absolutely correct that shot placement is high priority, but in many posts we've also talked about the need for margin of error when things don't go as planned.

Net, I personally will continue to go for center lungs on a broadside shot, or better yet, wait for a quartering away shot to get the widest possible margin of error in case something doesn't go as planned. Just my personal choice, probably born of decades with archery equipment.

Not saying that high-shoulder isn't a good shot for those that feel extremely confident in their ability to execute it consistently. Clearly, when done right, it's an ethical killer shot. :v

Sounds like you've drawn an incorrect conclusion. I did this work for my own personal hands on experience, and then simply shared the results for anyone who might be interested. Nowhere in my thread is there even a hint of me advocating that anyone do what I do, and personally I don't care what approach anyone else uses.
Speaking only for myself, knowing 'my' equipment, 'my' capabilities and 'my' discipline regarding patience, shot distances, angles, etc...high shoulder shots will now be my norm, that's all.

I will say this growing up in SE Michigan and having to hunt public land you learn quickly to put the deer down right where its standing or risk the loss of the deer to someone else. With the law the first one to tag it its their deer. Sometimes you have to sacrific a tiny bit of shoulder meat in order to ensure you get the deer for yourself. Opening day of gun season I have made perfect lung shots and the deer runs 150 yards and get taken by taken by the guy who snuck in on ya in darkness. I have no issue with making fast instant kills, even if it cost a bit of meat and how much is really ruined not much at all.

I took a 200# (estimated) buck on Nov 2 with a .62 and PRB. He was quartering(65 yards) towards me and the ball entered at the base of the neck/front of the shoulder and exited behind the opposite shoulder. He dropped like a rock, and feebly kicked, but required a shot in the neck to put out the lights.

In 2011 I double lunged a 180#+ buck with a .58 PRB from about 25 yards. He ran about 35 yards, stopped and looked around, and fell over dead.

Some years back I was shooting a .38 cal with 280gr conical with MV estimated ~1600fps. I shot a smaller buck at ~75 yards with a high shoulder, but below the spine. He dropped like a rock and was dead before I could get to him. That is definitely smaller diameter, and likely similar velocity to many 50cal PRB loads.

I like pass throughs if possible, and particularly lung and heart shots so as to leave a good trail if tracking is necessary. I often hunt in thick laurel, so losing sight of the animal is a real possibility. An anchoring shot is comforting as is a .58 or .62.

Nice shooting and thanks for posting Roundball. The area you are aiming for: there's a cluster of nerves, almost tennis ball size, that controls the heart, lungs, etc, just under the spine, behind the shoulder blade. Hit this or at least shock it, and it's "lights out". Used this before with same results as yours. Many times it will connect with the spine here too.

Good for you on helping needy families! :hatsoff:

When I first started deer hunting with a 30-30 I didn't know any better about shooting deer in the vitals. I always shot them in the shoulder and they always went straight down. Then when I got a bit older my oldest brother got me into flintlocks and I shot behind the shoulder and needed to track them down. I never have tried the shoulder shot with a flinter but I will next chance I get.

I don't use much of the shoulder meat anyway; our deer are not that big anyway. Thanks again for the post roundball; I always enjoy your posts.

The closest I'll get to that is to print these off and fan them rapidily...LOL.

11/11/13 - Doe
.62cal(20ga) Early Virginia Flintlock smoothbore
110grns Goex 2F / .600”/325grn patched lead ball
35 yard high shoulder shot, dropped in her tracks

11/18/13 - Doe
.62cal(20ga) Early Virginia Flintlock smoothbore
110grns Goex 2F / .600”/325grn patched lead ball
40 yard high shoulder shot, dropped in her tracks

11/20/13 - Doe
.58cal Early Virginia Flintlock
100grns Goex 2F / .570”/279grn patched lead ball
35-40 yard high shoulder shot, dropped in her tracks

12/23/13 - Doe
.54cal (28ga) Early Virginia Flintlock Smoothbore
90grns Goex 3F / Oxyoke .020” patch / Hornady .520”/225grn lead ball
40 yard high shoulder shot, dropped in her tracks
(toned down the bright red using 'Red-Eye Removal' tool)

01/01/14 ”“ Doe
.50cal Flintlock
90grns Goex 3F / .022” OxYoke patch / Hornady .490” ball
35yds, dropped in her tracks

Back