• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB load for deer and hog 54 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Angus and Beef Master haven't been interbreeding for centuries either.

PS- Texas has no such law requiring only male hogs to be trapped and released. There are few, if any pure European and/or Russian bores in Texas and only genetic testing would reveal the percentage of ancestry in a wild hog.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/

To clarify my earlier advice, when finding an accurate load for a .54 rifle, start with 55 grains of your favorite black powder and increase the load by 5 grains until nice tight groups result.
-then study hog anatomy as it varies from that of another common north American big game animal; the white tailed deer. My most accurate powder charge for my 54 caliber rifle is 85 grains of 2f Goes but I would not recommend that amount of powder to anyone who has not worked up a load in his or her .54 rifle. In other words, don't start with a powder charge that works in my rifle just because you have the same caliber as there are a number of other variables that will not be the same and you cannot expect the same accuracy as I get. Everyone has to see for themselves.

And for the record, hogs are not bulletproof and I have seen them fall to very small calibers that where very well placed while I have also seen hogs wounded by very large calibers that where poorly placed. This includes the time that a client managed to shoot the genitals right off a boar without killing it but still emptying his rifle. The hog did indeed run until one well placed shot from the client's son dropped it immediately using a rifle chambered in a caliber that some consider obsolete and incapable of killing deer with.

Was not trying to crect you at all! Just taking the opportunity to insert a bit of humor into the thread. Did not mean to come across like a grammar school teacher.

After having used heavy conicals w/ their excessive mid-range height for elk, made a .54 Hawken and to get the flatest trajectory, use 120 grs 3f and a .535 PRB. This load also is very accurate and has killed many elk and deer. The last elk was killed at a paced off 107 yds+ and traveled 30 yds before going down. Also many deer have been shot by my son w/ this load and rifle....some slightly over 100 yds. Deer don't need this large a load but it's so accurate, why change.

Perhaps some don't shoot this big a load comfortably....we never had that problem.....so, why not?.

Also....if pure lead RBs are used w/ the above powder charge, they don't fragment...have recovered 2 of these RBs that had even hit bone and were still intact......Fred

Same here, recovered a .530 ball that entered an elk at about 40 yards and stopped under the skin on the far side. Hit a rib going in and had strips of bone embedded in it.

Eighty grains woulda killed it just as well

marmotslayer said:
Was not trying to crect you at all! Just taking the opportunity to insert a bit of humor into the thread. Did not mean to come across like a grammar school teacher.
HA HA I got you back :rotf: :rotf: :blah: :haha: I knew what ya meant but had to have fun on me own..

How far out would you feel comfortable shooting deer with this load? My 54 shoots 60 grains of FFF better than anything else.

in my t/c 54's i find that 80grs ffg works very good, hardly any recoil and good groups with prb but if i go up ever thing starts going downhill.

good an't they! put a bunch of backstrap sliced about 1/4 inch or cut up piglets in the crockpot with bayleaves, garlic,peppers, your favorite bbQ sauce and let them slow cook all day. chop it all up mix a little of the cooked juice and more bbq sauce. dang i'm fixing to get the spotlight out and go hunting. see y'all in the morning if i can catch the dogs.

I hunted hogs for 26 years in and around Brevard County Florida, when I lived there, and only killed one 300 pound hog. Most were 100 to 125 pounds, and they make the best groceries. They were not particularly difficult to kill. I have used everything from a .243 Winchester to a .50 caliber percussion rifle and a .44 caliber 1858 New Army. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back