• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question from someone who knows next to nothing about traditional muzzleloading: in regards to lubrication with patched round balls, do both the ball and the patch need to be lubricated, or just the patch? In regards to lubing the patch, is something as simple as vegetable oil sufficient, or do you need a thicker material like bore butter? Thank you in advance!

Only the patch needs to be lubed. As far as what to use as a lube, you’re about to get about 200 different answers. All of which will be the best lube ever!
I’ll start by saying I use neat Murphy oil soap. Keeps fouling soft and I don’t need to clean between shots

Balls do not get lubed, just the patch, usually on one side, the side away from the ball that contacts the barrel.

Conical bullets gets lubed.

A vegetable oil like olive oil is often used. some use it alone, others mix it with beeswax to make a lube similar to bore butter. There are hundreds of different lubes one can use.

If you load a ball of soft lead then remove it you will see weave patterns from the lands as the cloth was compressed.
This is what holds the ball, you don’t want the ball to slip inside the patch.

I lubed both sides of a patch once and the patch stuck to the ball all the way to the target.
Found some stuck in the bullet holes in the board and some laying in front of the target board. One made it clean through.

Thank you all for the replies. That makes life much easier and I definitely am leaning toward getting a slower twist barrel now.

I definitely am leaning toward getting a slower twist barrel now.

In another thread you said you were looking at the Lyman great plains hunter, That gun would not be my first choice if I wanted to shoot round balls. The rifling is set up for modern conicals.

Lyman makes a regular great plains rifle that's the one you want for shooting round balls.

This is what works for me...
I have used a few different lubes but now only use Mink Oil Tallow from TRACK OF THE WOLF. It comes in an 8oz tin and lubes up a ton of patches. It works well in a wide temp range, not real messy and easy cleaning. I don’t over do it with lube, just enough so when i seat the ball before i cut at muzzle, there is no excess of lube on the muzzle. Now after my guns are sighted in, many times for plinking or woodswalks i will just spit patch...have plenty of water for when it’s hot out cause if not your spit will dry up!

You are going to get lots of help here for sure and you will have lots to experiment with cause these guns can be picky at times...what works for many doesn’t work for others. Also take notes on your loads and change only one thing at a time.

Back