• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

prb vs boar?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a t/c white mountain carbine in .50 and a lyman gpr (old 1 in 66 twist) in .54.

For the little carbine, I've got some maxiballs, however I was wondering what you all thought about using prbs on pigs, given their shields...

I'm off tonight to look for some pigs and will use the carbine with maxiballs. Will post if I get anything.

Stephen

windwalker has posted a hog foto taken w/a .32-20, I think a prb .50 has at least as much muzzle energy, and a slug likely more. I took a couple w/precussion revolvers - one a 300lb'er useing slugs over a max powder charge.
however I've been shooting the Lee mold .50 REAL slug in anticipation of possible hunt in S. Carolina for some BIG hogs, upwards of 500lb. I missed a chance early spring to go due to family emergency but hope maybe this winter to get another chance.
Good Luck :hatsoff:

I've got a grand total of one pig to my credit using PRB. .58 caliber, shot at under 50 yards, smallish "meat" pig. Ball went clean thru, took out a rib on the way in. Pig spun around and dropped.

Im no pig expert, but when I die, I want to be reincarnated as a boar, or a snappin turtle.

This past feb was my first time chasin pigs (texas with bow), and I was AMAZED at how tough these guys are, just amazed. While down there I wondered how a PRB would stand up to a big one.

my friend hunts wild boar frequently here in Hawaii and he said the biggest one he ever took was over 300 pounds and he took it with a ruger 10/22 he also said he shot it 18 times however and didnt even bother cooking it because every cut had a bullet or lead streak and he punctured the stomach and intestines.

blake fenton-williams said:
my friend hunts wild boar frequently here in Hawaii and he said the biggest one he ever took was over 300 pounds and he took it with a ruger 10/22 he also said he shot it 18 times however and didnt even bother cooking it because every cut had a bullet or lead streak and he punctured the stomach and intestines.

Your friend needs a serious whuppin'! I know that I certainly wouldn't be doing any hunting with a guy who would do something like that.

-----SNAPPING TURTLES---did someone say SNAPPING TURTLES--saw 4 this week in the fields gettin ready to lay eggs+one on the road--thisin not going to lay eggs--not now-----

IMO, a .54cal/230grn lead ball in a hogs ear at muzzleloader distances will be more than adequate.

"I've got a grand total of one pig to my credit using PRB. .58 caliber, shot at under 50 yards,"

Bill, was this in Oregon? I have heard of pigs in the southern part of the state and wondered how far north they are found.C;osest thing I have see around here is a fat 'possum.

tg said:
Bill, was this in Oregon? I have heard of pigs in the southern part of the state and wondered how far north they are found.C;osest thing I have see around here is a fat 'possum.

No, Florida, way back when I was going thru VT-10 in Pensacola. Used a caplock, too, before I saw the light and switched to flintlocks.

Prineville area, east and southeast for town proper, up in the Ochoco's..."wild"/feral Pig can be found! not in big numbers by any means, but they exist!

Maybe they should import some to the west side to replace the declining Blacktail population, I guess bacon would be as good as backstrap. the tag allotments for many of the draw hunts has really been cut back the last few years, I think habitat loss and hairloss syndrome may be taking its toll in the coast range, there are a lot of deer in the valley but I have seen a real decline over the last several years in the Mts., judging from the animals I have seen or not seen and the lack of sign and talking with others who have hunted here a long time.I think the Game Dept is setting up a comprehensive Blacktail management program now, seems like this might be better done before the population falls of?

they are tough animals for sure. the larger the tougher. if you've ever skinned one you know about the very tough layer of hide and 'gristle' on the neck and shoulder area.
one large (300lb) I shot with a ROA useing slug (shot it over bait but it didn't stop moveing) I shot too far back and high to hit the heart/lung junction but upon cleaning both lungs had a sizeable hole in them. slug was stuck in the other-side hide and had knocked a big chunk off a rib. ran off went over 1/4 mile before crawling into thicket where we found it and I shot it again in the head. it was nearly gone but still blowing blood out.
we cut it's head and fore-feet off and hung it up to bleed and went to get another fella to help us bring it in. good eating and worth every bit of the effort.

Back