• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Preference poll: smoothbore or rifled?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do your prefer a smooth bore or a rifled bore?

• Smoothbore

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Rifled bore

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Makes no difference

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I recently got my first smoothbore, a Charleville repro, and I'm now leaning toward smoothbore. I'm not a hunter, and I'm not a competition target shooter, so accuracy isn't a big issue, and I found that my smoothbore Charleville was not only a whole lot of fun to shoot, but as compared to my rifled-bore muzzleloaders it's: 1) a whole lot easier to load (and a whole lot more flexible in with what and how to load, and 2) it's a whole lot easier to clean when I'm done shooting.

I'm currently assembling a Kibler .58 cal smoothbore Colonial, so that will give me some more input to which I prefer.

I've had muzzleloader rifles and revolvers over 40 years. I've made some great shots with the rifles.
I bought my first smoothbore several years ago, I've shot trap many times, I really enjoy it.
I'm leaning towards the smoothbore; shot, ball or both, at your disposal.

I have MM.. scope.

I do want a deer gun. iron sights..

I was thinking something smoothbore kinda.. TC .56?

Before they go up on price.

I’m a hunter first and foremost, so I get a lot more out of a rifled barrel. That said, I just started playing around with my Pedersoli shotgun and it has been a lot of fun. I guess they both have their uses.

Back