• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Presentation cases??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been working on a couple of Kentucky flintlock pistols for my son.
Couldn't find a nice hardwood presentation case to put them in for less then $150 bucks and it was a Pedersoli.
My brother-in-law is going to make me one out of oak as a gift for him. :thumbsup:
I have a question to forum members..
Do you think there is a market for handmade hardwood pistol presentation cases??
Made out of Oak or Walnut, these would be American made at a reasonable price.
I hope this question isn't against the rules
Regards
Mike

As your asking a question and not trying to sell anything, I think your post if fine. :)

Attidmittedly my Dixie catalog is out of date but it is listing several cases for sale. Their prices seem to vary between $76 and $160. These are for single gun presentations.

IMO The problem with trying to make pistol cases is unless they are for the common guns like the Colts and Remingtons they are all rather specialized.
Take your case for instance. It isn't for one gun, it's for two. If the case that is being made fits the guns you have, it most likely wouldn't fit other guns because the barrel is shorter/longer, the grip is shorter/longer, it may have a compartment for a bullet mold etc.

I don't know how much experiance your brother-in-law has with making this kind of case but, based on the fun I've had (just kidding) fitting the interior was a large sized PITA.
Something about cloth and I don't get along too well. :grin:

So, to answer your question, yes, someone out there (or some company) is making cases for sale.
Would it be worth your while to try to compete? IMO, probably not.
Zonie :)

thanks Zonie,
I looked on their web site and couldn't find any thing.
He is a custom builder of high end cabinates and furniture. Goodness knows I can't afford to buy it :cursing:
But as a favor to me he was happy to make these for me. In return, I was just looking for a new market for him.
Seems to me there are lots of custom built Kentucky's and Hawken's looking for a home.
Anyway Thanks
Mike

I have been wondering about cases that were more modestly priced. I came upon an interesting idea. I find silverware boxes all the time. You could gut one of those for a two gun presentation case.

And along that line, I watched eBay for a while, looking for suitable boxes, and it looks like boxes are pretty collectible. Read overpriced. I've picked up a couple of silverware boxes that could probably be modified to work, from friends & family, but getting a suitable box at a reasonable price sounds like a do-it-yourself project to me. My thought is to sign up for a woodworking class at the adult ed school, and make a a few, when I make up my mind how many & what size.

I am interested in cases, more for percussion shotguns than pistols. Except for the Dixie offering @ $350 (if memory serves) there isn't much. The trunk cases, oak & leather, and canvas, seem to be from a bit later era. So if he's interested in trying one of those, even without the interior, drop me a line and I will send some pictures and he can look them over.

$150 just seems too much.
$20 to $30 for the wood, take a skilled maker about an hour to build... figure another $30 for that. Less if he could set up and run all the parts at once.
Just seems like a pretty high profit margin :hmm: .. but I guess when you figure eveyone wants their 30% it's not out of line.That felt must be a PITA..
Will post pics of the case and pistol when it's done and you all can make your own decissions.
Was just trying to help a friend find a new market for his skills.

Just as a side note: When I built the case for my Schuetzen I bought real velvet at $25/yard.
When I built the case for my precussion pistol, I bought Velveteen at $11/yard.
IMO, for a gun case, the Velveteen looks just as good at less than half the price. :)

Here is a picture of the unfinished gun and it's case:
cased2.jpg

And here is a link to another post about cases:
PISTOL CASE

ZONIE :)

I made a presentation case to hold my '51 Navy and NA'60 Army using an old silverware case.I gutted it,put down some brown felt with glue and made the comparments with 1/8 inch Walnut stock.It was a little tricky,but it came out great and was inexpensive to make.(You need some wood-working skills though).

I've made a couple of cases as well. You can use birch plywood and it looks pretty good or glue veneer over 1/8 plywood. Use inside blocks at the corners for strength and wood pegs if you want. Hobby shops have cabinet hardware for locks and corner guards. Making your own means the flask will fit, etc.
If I was to do it as a business, I would consider bulding to order for a customer. Have the customer fax/email the pistol, flask etc with a ruler so you can expand to full size.

Has anyone ever tried converting an old cigar humidor into a presentation case? I've seen used ones on ebay for $10 or so, and a lot of them are pretty nice wood. In fact, I have an old one that might work well. The only thing is, humidors are designed to keep things...well, humid. Any woodworkers have an opinion. Does the cedar wood lining naturally draw moisture?

Zonie said:
Just as a side note: When I built the case for my Schuetzen I bought real velvet at $25/yard.
When I built the case for my precussion pistol, I bought Velveteen at $11/yard.

HOLLY manure!!! Ware were are you buying your fabric from? I have never paid that much for velvet. And I buy a lot of fabric (it's kind of an addiction) :redface: PM me and I can send a small list of places to look into for fabric.

BTW. Vary nice job on the case. :hatsoff:

I think it was JoAnns here in Phoenix.
Thanks for the offer but it is so seldom that I buy material your suppliers would probably be out of business by the time I needed them. :grin:

zonie :)

Back