• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pretty excited...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, some background. I love to hunt, especially with flintlocks. I've been hunting quite seriously since I was a very young kid (my dad wasn't much of a hunter but he knew that I was and he allowed it and basically stayed out of my way). :wink: My job keeps me around wildlife and hunting, even though I do less hunting personally than I used to. What's odd is that neither of my sons (ages 20 and 17) have ever had much interest in hunting or fishing, even though I've given them opportunity and never pressured them to hunt.

I recently built my eldest son a half-stock flint rifle in .50 for his 20th birthday. I made it as a keepsake for him, should anything happen to me, I wanted him to have something to remember me by. I didn't do it to encourage him to hunt, but I have to admit that I was hopeful that it might kindle some deep-hidden desire. As it happens, he seems to be fairly taken with the rifle and he went off and purchased himself a PA hunting license and muzzleloader stamp for our upcoming flintlock only deer season and I couldn't be happier. I'm sure that he's not even remotely interested in hunting side by side with me but I'll be out when he's out and I'll do my best to run a legal deer past him for a shot.

I had previously sighted the rifle in so it would be ready for him but I realize that people visualize things differently when staring down the sights, not to mention that his eyes are much younger than mine, so I wasn't 100% certain that it wouldn't need some more tweaking. Thankfully, he shot 7 or 8 shots yesterday and poked them all in the same ragged golf ball sized hole in the target at 25 yards. I'd prefer that he do some shooting at 50 and maybe even 75 yards as well, to familiarize himself with the rifle and to figure out what his safe range is, but with the weather we're currently experiencing, I don't see it happening.

I'm as pleased as punch and would do anything to see him get a deer this season.

It must be in your genes. Good for him.

I made the same mistake? as you and always asked my kids IF they wanted to go hunting. My son went a few times and my daughter never. All the other dads at hunting camp just packed up the kids and took them, like it or not. Almost all of those kids love the out-of-doors and hunt all the time. Mine sits at a desk in front of a computer.

Kids don't know what is best for them, it's up to us to introduce them properly. If I could do it over, I'd pack them along just like the others.

Patocazador said:
It must be in your genes. Good for him.

I made the same mistake? as you and always asked my kids IF they wanted to go hunting. My son went a few times and my daughter never. All the other dads at hunting camp just packed up the kids and took them, like it or not. Almost all of those kids love the out-of-doors and hunt all the time. Mine sits at a desk in front of a computer.

Kids don't know what is best for them, it's up to us to introduce them properly. If I could do it over, I'd pack them along just like the others.

Well, it's water under the bridge now for me. I'm still hopeful that my sons may re-kindle some limited excitement that may burn sub-consciously but I'm not sure I agree with you about forcing a kid into the sport. With MY kids, it never would have worked and they would have held it against me. I don't feel that I'm overbearing with my kids at all, but they surely do. With my older son, I pushed a bit harder than I probably should have with sports and he ended up quitting most sports before his senior year in high school, though he was an extremely gifted athlete. I backed off some with my younger son and he seems far more inclined to invest a real amount of time and effort in sports. Maybe it's a difference in their personalities or maybe son #2 appreciates that I've learned and backed off a bit.

I agree that kids are involved in a lot of activities that are probably unproductive or even counter-productive these days but maybe we don't give them enough credit and I believe you have to give them their room and allow them to choose their own activities and mold their own personalities. Who knows. Like I said, I'm pretty excited that my son wants to give it a try again and I hope that it "sticks" this time (he did kill a doe with a rifle when he was 12 and hasn't been hunting again since).

Glad to hear his interest has been sparked enough to get the license and get out there! Whether he gets one or not, I hope he has a safe and enjoyable time and decides to continue.

I don't have any sons and while I thought my oldest daughter was going to take up hunting, she never did. Her husband, however, just took up bowhunting last year (over 30 years old) and I was able to get him set up to take his first deer, a nice doe. He was hooked! Perhaps he'll also take up the smoke pole someday.

Here he is on the day that I gave him the gun. Don't be fooled, he never smiles for photos. If he "bloods it" during the season I'll be sure to post photos.

bens%20gun_zpsdqjzwxee.jpg

What a beautiful gun. I hope he can truely appreciate the love and effort you put into making this for him.

How long did it take you to build that wonderful gun? Could you post more pictures?

Wish I has the skills to make a fine flintlock such as this.

Thanks for the compliment ball-et. This one was a partial pre-carve from Dave Keck at Knob Mountain. I actually built this rifle far quicker than any of the others I've built (this was #5), but that's mostly because I wanted to finish it in time for his birthday, so I was well motivated. It's got some warts but it shoots straight and I think he likes it. Overall, I'd guess it took me two months to complete, working for an hour here or there and for several hours on days off and Sundays.

lock%20and%20horn_zpsp4g6ghhw.jpg

Cropped%20lock_zpsdzgrvqyk.jpg

Half-stock%20003_zpsbqvjv39l.jpg

Back