• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

primer adapter for a t/c 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamperkk

40 Cal
Reaction score
the percussion are harder to find but i have plenty of 209 caps,,,is there an adapter i can remove my nipple and put one in that will shoot a 209 cap? Or do they make such a thing?

Yes they do. They are kind of a pain as you have to unscrew the top and screw it back together after replacing the primer. But if it lets you make some smoke when otherwise you could not they have a place.

I've had one on a TC patent breech and it allowed the use of BH209 which requires a sealed breech.

Google "Mag Spark". They make them for all the nipple thread sizes. They may not fit all guns, especially SxS shotguns as they are wider & can hit the barrel before being screwed all the way in. They also stand higher & can interfere with the "half cock" position of your hammer depending on your rifle. I don't use them, but a friend has them on every ML gun he owns & won't use anything else. I do know I have never witnessed him having a single ignition failure & that's from over a thousand shots!!

I tried one of the shot shell primer adapters on a TC many years ago, I don't remember what brand. The problem I had was the spent primer would often stick in the adapter and have to be pried out with the tip of a knife and then it took some doing.

ok if i change my t/c nipple to shoot a 209, do i have to change my hammer also?

I have mag spark adaptors for every rifle I have. Use them in wet weather to insure ignition. I haven't had to adjust or modify any rifle to use them. As far as the 209 getting stuck I've had #11s not separate and be just as stuck. Not so many as to be considered a problem.

I have used the mag spark adaptor with great success...But...After 6 or 7 shots the primer starts to stick and has to be pried out...I have a few ear swabs that are damp with powder solvent that I run around the threads and clean out the pocket..this normally stops the problem

Back