• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Primer???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

750k2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at one of those primer spouts in my TOW catalog and have a few questions??

1) Will these dispense fffg?
2) has anyone drilled one out to throw fffg?
3) What do you use to prime??
4) where do you find the best place to put your prime
ie... inboard, outboard or middle??? or does it vary
by individual arm??? ::

I'm looking at one of those primer spouts in my TOW catalog and have a few questions??

1) I have no idea. Big help there, huh?
2) No
3) FFFFg
4) My rifle likes a full pan to just below the vent. I've tried all the variations and they don't seem to speed things up any, but reliability suffers somewhat. You need to find what works for your gun. :results:

The Possibles Shop (advertiser at the top of the forum) carries both size pan primers:

One is the the normal size pocket pan primer with a 3grn plunger dispenser for using 4F;

The other one looks just like it but is slightly larger sized one with a 4grn plunger dispenser that's supposed to be good for 3F.

I only use 4F, and I followed the advice I learned which was to be sure to keep the level of the powder below the vent hole.

Plus I also rock the rifle away from the vent after closing the frizzen so the prime stays sloping up and away from the vent....and I've always had outstanding ignition so I've stayed with that approach ever since I started it.

A.) No Idea
2.) No Idea
III.) Main horn - FFg
Four.) Middle, but spread flat for the width of the pan (should be just below level of vent).

If the lock doesn't spark enough for the FFg I use FFFFg in a tiny horn. Any lock with a 7/8" wide flint or wider shouldn't need fine priming powder.

As far as I know, there isn't much evidence of primers or priming horns in original bags. I have even seen small horns described as "reserve horns" instead of "priming horns" where they do appear. I don't recall ever seeing an old, all-metal priming flask anywhere.

Yes, I have one of those spring loaded priming spouts, and it will dispence FFF as well as FFFF.

I prime to the outside, and use FFF for prime on damp days, and FFFF the rest of the time. FFF doesn't seem to pull water out of the air as bad. I have even used FF for prime.

Jim...

following a lot of advice found on this site, the following are my personal answers your questions:

1. I use a TC pan primer
2. no need to so far (watch the "goo" in the humid summer)
3. fffg as pan and charge
4. Outside edge, 1 - 1.5 pushes
:results:
two different guns, TC Firestorm and Lyman GPH

BobW

Back