• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming the pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harddog said:
Why did a full pan work for eons and then all of a sudden it didn't.

We often do things, not realizing there could be a better way. It's funny how things evolve.

People rode horses for quite a while before someone invented the stirrup.

The stirrup was invented surprisingly late in history, considering that horses were used for bareback riding and to pull carts or war chariots since the fourth millennium BC.

Stirrups changed the basic tactics of mounted warfare and made cavalry more important. Braced against the stirrups, a knight could deliver a blow with a lance that employed the full weight and momentum of horse and rider together. The addition of stirrups also allowed a rider to use a longer (and vastly more powerful) bow by standing up on the stirrups.

Lynn White Jr., in Medieval Technology and Social Change (1966) suggested that the rising feudal class structure of the European Middle Ages derived ultimately from the use of stirrups: "Few inventions have been so simple as the stirrup, but few have had so catalytic an influence on history. The requirements of the new mode of warfare which it made possible found expression in a new form of western European society dominated by an aristocracy of warriors endowed with land so that they might fight in a new and highly specialized way."

It's never too late to learn a new technique. :)

Cool info Claude. :thumbsup:

I tend to use a full to overfull pan for target shooting, with it away from the TH. Mainly because my priming horn has a free flow end. With a good lock, anywhere from a few grains to overfull works just fine. IMHO.

GeorgeC said:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied. I gotten a bunch of things to try on this Saturday. I'll let you know who things turn out.

Thanks again!
George

Ok, just got back from the range after firing 30 rounds. Primming to the outside of the pan worked like a champ for me. Out of thirty rounds, 28 of them wnet off Pfboom. In fact, in the middle of my session, I had a guy come up to me and "Your rifle sure is crackin might fine." :hatsoff:
As to the other two rounds, One was pfft...no boom.... re-prime...pfft ...no boom...Rinse, lather, repeat...Question: Does forgetting to load the main charge count as a primming problem??? :hmm: The other one misfire was due to a frizzen malfunction.
All in all, primming to the outside worked great. Now, if I can just get over the flintching, lousy aim thing....Oh well, progress, not perfection :rotf:

Thanks to everyone for you replies.
George

Back