• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Primitive" shooting at NMLRA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been to f ship many times and have often wondered why they schedule a national shoot at the same time as that mess of a flea market that peddles nothing but manure.
The traffic is horrible and I ve heard that the traditional venders benefit very little from people that go to the flea markets.
To me the 2 events shouldn't coincide. Ive talked to few shooters who wont go anymore because because of crowds and congestion caused by the flea market nightmare.
Shooters are shooters and flea marketers are flea marketers and shouldn't be tossed into the same bag on the same week.
JMO

Dammit boys I ain't all that old, at 53 I'm practically a younin' in this sport. Just like the fur trade, I'm afraid the shining times have come and gone.

Our greatest hope is for a resurgence like we had around the Bicentennial on our 250th Anniversary coming up in 2026. Hell if nothing else, take some green horns out and teach them to shoot. I'm afraid Larry (Omaha) is right, we will be damn lucky if the younin's put down their phones long enough to watch the fireworks.
I don't think it's the current generation of young people to blame. They have their interests and hobbies. I'm 43 and old enough to be a father to a young person (no kids). I would blame my generation and my parents generation for the lack of interest in traditional muzzleloading. If this current generation isn't into something, it's becaue nobody introduced them to it.

My dad had a TC New Englander until 93-94. That's the only ML I was ever around as a kid. He showed us how it worked and how to load it. His favorite movie is Jeremiah Johnson and that is probably what sparked his interest. He always deer hunted and taught us that when we were very young. So I've always been into firearms and hunting.

I bought a cheap CVA inline when I was 19. That was my deer gun for many years. I always liked the old traditional rifles, but never actually seen one or knew anyone that owned one.

Winter time 2022-2023 watched an old episode of How It's Made and they were making Traditions Hawken type ML's and that got me interested. Joined the forum and bought a kit on here. Now I have finished 2 kit rifles, bought 3 rifles, and working on a kit rifle right now. Casted some bullets for the first time earlier this week.

It doesn't take much to get someone interested in something, if it's something they enjoy doing. I'm guessing the new generation doesn't enjoy the outdoors, hunting, firearms, etc as much as previous generations. Just going out a shooting is probably boring to them. Maybe it would take getting them involved in shooting competition, teaching them the history, meeting new people to get them hooked.

Ive been to f ship many times and have often wondered why they schedule a national shoot at the same time as that mess of a flea market that peddles nothing but manure.
The traffic is horrible and I ve heard that the traditional venders benefit very little from people that go to the flea markets.
To me the 2 events shouldn't coincide. Ive talked to few shooters who wont go anymore because because of crowds and congestion caused by the flea market nightmare.
Shooters are shooters and flea marketers are flea marketers and shouldn't be tossed into the same bag on the same week.
JMO
I agree with that. It's a nightmare to park and try to leave in the afternoon due to all the traffic. I was blocked in and couldn't get my truck out on the first Sat. Had to sit there 20 minutes until I was able to pull out and turn right to then turn around again and make my way to the exit.

I don't think it's the current generation of young people to blame. They have their interests and hobbies. I'm 43 and old enough to be a father to a young person (no kids). I would blame my generation and my parents generation for the lack of interest in traditional muzzleloading. If this current generation isn't into something, it's becaue nobody introduced them to it.

My dad had a TC New Englander until 93-94. That's the only ML I was ever around as a kid. He showed us how it worked and how to load it. His favorite movie is Jeremiah Johnson and that is probably what sparked his interest. He always deer hunted and taught us that when we were very young. So I've always been into firearms and hunting.

I bought a cheap CVA inline when I was 19. That was my deer gun for many years. I always liked the old traditional rifles, but never actually seen one or knew anyone that owned one.

Winter time 2022-2023 watched an old episode of How It's Made and they were making Traditions Hawken type ML's and that got me interested. Joined the forum and bought a kit on here. Now I have finished 2 kit rifles, bought 3 rifles, and working on a kit rifle right now. Casted some bullets for the first time earlier this week.

It doesn't take much to get someone interested in something, if it's something they enjoy doing. I'm guessing the new generation doesn't enjoy the outdoors, hunting, firearms, etc as much as previous generations. Just going out a shooting is probably boring to them. Maybe it would take getting them involved in shooting competition, teaching them the history, meeting new people to get them hooked.
The problem is that young people don't get exposed to muzzleloading and have little access to the sport. What they do see is old farts playing dress up in the woods. I agree they need a better context to learn. My nssa group the Palmetto Sharpshooters are providing instruction at 3 boy scout camps in North Carolina as their outreach to interest young people in muzzleloading.. Here was a video my scout troop helped make for Camp Bud Schiele.

This is something that could be replicated elsewhere or at 4H clubs or other settings.

You see I do remember when every booth was filled. Spaces around tge sheep shed were filled. Almost the entire firing line was full and many waiting to shoot.
The nights were filled with trading and visiting. It was almost elbow to elbow in and along the sheds.
I started going over on the Friday before just so I could move about with less people and get what I needed while it was still there. Now that Friday before the shoot is the big day for the venders.
Then I found out that many venders arrive on Thursday. Sell on Friday. Sat and Sun and then pack up and leave on Monday.

Yes it has changed quite a bit.
I have shot primitive and always did it in period attire, loaded from the bag and horn.
Now I would need to be wheeled to the range. And I would need to set down and rest quite often. Arthritis and heart issues have taken over.
When I used to run wild. Not today

I understand the disappointment and I do wish they would have a primitive course. They did have one where part of it required to throw a hawk and a knife.
Get active and pursue your wants and needs. Explore other matches. There might be one that suits you.
This guy will get out of the way.
But I do want you to know that this Davy Crockett craze is just as much a part of me today as it was in the fifties.

Last edited:
You see I do remember when every booth was filled. Spaces around tge sheep shed were filled. Almost the entire firing line was full and many waiting to shoot.
The nights were filled with trading and visiting. It was almost elbow to elbow in and along the sheds.
I started going over on the Friday before just so I could move about with less people and get what I needed while it was still there. Now that Friday before the shoot is the big day for the venders.
Then I found out that many venders arrive on Thursday. Sell on Friday. Sat and Sun and then pack up and leave on Monday.

Yes it has changed quite a bit.
I have shot primitive and always did it in period attire, loaded from the bag and horn.
Now I would need to be wheeled to the range. And I would need to set down and rest quite often. Arthritis and heart issues have taken over.
When I used to run wild. Not today

I understand the disappointment and I do wish they would have a primitive course. They did have one where part of it required to throw a hawk and a knife.
Get active and pursue your wants and needs. Explore other matches. There might be one that suits you.
This guy will get out of the way.
But I do want you to know that this Davy Crockett craze is just as much a part of me today as it was in the fifties.
Me too, but have to admit my age and ability has changed. Too bad the young bloods can't throw their phones away and taste real fun.
Don't think that will ever happen.
Larry

The problem is that young people don't get exposed to muzzleloading and have little access to the sport. What they do see is old farts playing dress up in the woods.
Isn’t that a nice slap on the face to a whole bunch of folks in our sport and hobby.
A great number of those “old farts playing dress up” have positively influenced countless children for many, many years.
Those “old farts” got me started with black powder shooting 45 years ago. And I am happily carrying on the “playing dress up” tradition with the 2nd North Carolina Regiment, as well as with my work teaching Muzzleloading to the Scouts at Camp Raven Knob.
Let’s not take shots when we’re unsure of the target 😉

There are many matches you can choose to do on the primitive range at the NMLRA. And yes, there are loading tables by the block house as well as benches to sit on if you are not shooting there. You can choose to load from the loading table or from your shooting bag. You can dress in period clothing or not in period clothing.

There are matches further back in primitive that include starting a fire with flint/steel, hawk & knife throwing along with shooting from your bag. If you'd like to run that range, they are looking for someone to take it over. Then, you can do it however you see fit. Volunteers to prep the range, run the range, and do everything else is surely a commitment and takes a lot of time.

JMO
The flea markets schedule around the shoot . Move the shoot and they will change their dates to coincide. They have done it before.

I dunno......

I have found some pretty neat stuff at the flea market in the past, some people bring old rusty tools and ancient stuff (like me!) and that makes me stop and look, the modern fluff stuff is easy to just walk on past.

As far as the primitive range goes, any woods walk type shoot I dress appropriately and shoot from the pouch, I do not really care how the other guy does it. You never know where the other guy is in his journey into this sport.

Many years ago. In the 60’s the person who organized the flea market had a large booth in the sheep shed. He had it for a few years. He began selling a lot of stuff that was not related to muzzleloading. So they , those in charge, told him he needed to sell muzzleloading stuff or he could not set up. He was upset and purchased the property of what is now the Flea Market and has his two big events atvthe same time as the national shoots. That gentleman passed a few years ago. He was a good businessman but just had different interests.

I have not been to Friendship in many, many years.
Back then the primitive matches were held on the back area of the primitive camp area.
All other shooting was done on the range on the opposite side of the river.
On the primitive range you had to dress on what ever period you represented and shoot from your bag etc. Sounds like they are not as strict these days.

Isn’t that a nice slap on the face to a whole bunch of folks in our sport and hobby.
A great number of those “old farts playing dress up” have positively influenced countless children for many, many years.
Those “old farts” got me started with black powder shooting 45 years ago. And I am happily carrying on the “playing dress up” tradition with the 2nd North Carolina Regiment, as well as with my work teaching Muzzleloading to the Scouts at Camp Raven Knob.
I am one of those old folks. So I am including myself. But I work with kids and teenagers every day and I hate to break it to you but my description is exactly how the majority of them see us. Sad when folks can't laugh at themselves and are such a snowflake they get so easily offended. LOL.

The reason that kids and teenagers see us the way they do is that they have no appreciation for the civil war and the history, which most kids know little to nothing about. That is why it is so important about what you and others do at Camp Ravenknob. Most times discussing the dress and context for using muzzleloaders and how battles were fought are of interest to them and something they didn't know. So they develop that relationship, gain knowledge and change their view of us from negative and largely uninformed to more positive and respectful. I was advocating for more programs such as this not slapping anyone in the face. Just remarking casually about something I have heard on more than one occasion at the beginning of the conversation when I ask them about initial impressions. I just wanted to add and not hijack the thread which now I have done with this long explanation which I felt was necessary. But I applaud your efforts. Sorry if it offended.

My wife was a High School History teacher for 40 years. Recently retired. Her minister was a CW reenactor and would come into class one day every year in full uniform. With the Admins permission he brought several ML rifles and cap and ball pistols. It was the students favorite every year.

I worked with at risk students for several years after I retired. I carried a security radio so heard a lot that went on. I was bringing my students to her room the last year she taught to see the demo. For some reason the Minister came in the back door instead of the front, remember the Admin people knew he was going to be there. Evidently they didn't tell the cafeteria personnel so when they saw a man with guns they sounded the alarm.

I heard it and immediately reminded them that it was scheduled. I ran down the stairs from my room which was right over the cafeteria and helped defuse the situation. Everything needed OK but was hectic for awhile.

Don

Back