• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problem getting spark thru to powder... Help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What powder are you using? If it’s pyrodex, stop using it and borrow some 3 or even 4 f REAL black powder. I had a mowery percussion that was only reliable with 3 or 4 f real black, the venting under the nipple was so small , only a small grained powder would flow back where it needed to be.
CVA isn't a paten breech like the others

Attachments

• CVA DRUM Breech.jpg
    CVA DRUM Breech.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
FWIW, I remove the nipple and drop it in a bucket of tepid water with a touch of Dawn dish soap. I then use the plunger method until the barrel is clean. Dry with patches, then shoot compressed air into the nipple hole. Shoot air into the nipple too, but hang on to it. You should see daylight through the nipple. Oil with whatever concoction you think works, store muzzle down at least overnight, then run a dry patch then a LIGHTLY oiled patch down the barrel, then reinstall nipple.

That clean-out screw has been assaulted by some ham-fisted amateur with the wrong turnscrew. Remove the barrel from the stock, remove the nipple, set in a yogurt container and cover the drum with Kroil. While waiting order Chapmans Gunsmithing Screwdrivers (or better if so inclined. My Chappys are over 40 yo.). With a properly fitting screwdriver bit, try every 12 hours to loosen the screw. It will eventually give up and come out. Use a slotting file to clean up the screw slot. Reinstall with a bit of Neversieze.

Bob's your uncle.
RP, I looked at Chapman's page. Very interesting. Which set would you recommend for a start on some good gun smithing tools?

You probably also need a brass ramrod brush and breach scraper in the appropriate caliber for range and home cleaning. Bill
Search the archives here for "stuck brush" before you try that solution. You will be very glad you read about it before trying it. BTDT circa 1978, and can truthfully tell you I never tried it again.

RP, I looked at Chapman's page. Very interesting. Which set would you recommend for a start on some good gun smithing tools?
I bought what I think is the Gunsmithing set in the 70's at my local GS, but have yet to use the Phillips bits. I have replaced maybe a third of the bits and added additional ones as need arose over time. Last time I ordered, 2-3 years ago, replacement bits cost $1.50. My wife has the sewing package which is only slightly different than the gs set. They have great size dimensions on every bit in the parts section, so you can see exactly what you get.

I like them because they have performed well for me for 40+ years and don't cost $20-40 to replace if you damage one. The bits are supposed to break before you damage the screw. I'm a hobbyist with no aspirations to be a professional gunsmith, so see no need for better quality, high end, $$$$ stuff. Money saved goes to powder and lead.

HTH

If there's a screw, somebody is bound to think it has to be unscrewed. The designers and manufacturers weren't thinking when they put those in there.
I concur. I’ve never removed a clean-out screw and never will. Not even on my Traditions Crockett rifle.

It was just a week or so ago that someone posted a picture of a Crockett rifle with the side of it blown off. That was on the opposite side from the lock where the clean-out screw is located on a Crockett rifle.

Traditions does state to remove the clean/out screw in their owners manual. However, if you notice, in the directions it states to remove the clean-out screw from the “bolster/drum”.

I’ve also never applied anti-seize on a nipple since 1981 and I’ve never encountered a stuck nipple.

Attachments

• IMG_2302.jpeg
    IMG_2302.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2303.jpeg
    IMG_2303.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I concur. I’ve never removed a clean-out screw and never will. Not even on my Traditions Crockett rifle.

It was just a week or so ago that someone posted a picture of a Crockett rifle with the side of it blown off. That was on the opposite side from the lock where the clean-out screw is located on a Crockett rifle.

However, Traditions does state to do so in their owners manual.

I’ve also never applied anti-seize on a nipple since 1981 and I’ve never encountered a stuck nipple.
I missed that one, got a link to the post ? I tried the search and couldn't find it. Thanks

I missed that one, got a link to the post ? I tried the search and couldn't find it. Thanks
Howdy, Ron.

No I do not remember where it was posted on here but I’m sure someone does.

EDIT: See post below.

Last edited:
Found it, Ron.

This was posted in the hunting sub forum. It was originally posted over on the Modern Muzzleloader Forum.
So, let me get this straight. On the Crockett rifle, there are threaded ports on both sides of the barrel at the breech end. The one opposite the bolster identified as a Clean out screw, which appears to be the same thread size as the drum thread, and the bolster/drum clean out screw, about half the size. Why would anyone call something a clean out screw if they didn’t want it removed for cleaning.. Seems not thought out grammatically.

Latest posts

Back