• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problem with my underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Short Arm

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a problem :surrender: with my barrel coming loose on my underhammer.I have drill three small bevelled indent to lock the barrel in place using the set screw plus use blue loctite on set-screw.I'll give it a day or two and see if this works.My ? is has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it. gmww,I did get your email Thanks for your help,I'll also keep you posted Thanks folks Lynn

Lynn,
I presume from your comment about "3 set screws" that you have a Deer Creek action. I have used these on at least a half dozen different rifles and shotguns with no problem. You say you drilled detent holes to set the barrel in the same place each time. Perhaps you drilled them to deep for the length screws you are using and they are not bottoming out. Try to find longer screws and see if that helps.
Mark

Papa,Yes it is from Deer Creek.The first set of holes I feel were a little small in diameter,I made them a tiny bit larger and install longer screw.The depth I think is fine. Will try it out on Friday.Thank you Sir for your "HELP" Lynn

Randy,
No, as long as the set screws are snug there should not be any problem with movement. Are you using a factory beach plug or one you made? If it is a little small, in diameter, it might let there be some movement. Another thought would be to shim the barrel to the face of the action slightly to take up any depth problem.
Mark

I'm also wondering if your breach plug might be too narrow. How snug does it fit into the action. Mine is snug. I mean I have to twist it back and fourth to put it in or take it out.

I think if it is too narrow and has some play this may be part of the problem. Just a thought. :hmm:

gmww,I also have to twist back and forth to put on and take off.I think I may have got it right by enlarger the hole and longer screws,Thanks again for getting back with your help on this.I'm testing in the morning again I'll keep you posted.
Lynn "Welshman"

Great. But just so you know, mine will come loose after a while. A full day at the range and I'll just check the tightness.

I am in the building stage.I ordered a .69 cal rifled barrel from Bobby Hoyt and I sent my action to him so that he could design the proper plug.

I have a number of underhammer guns and all use a single steel pin to keep the barrel/receiver in place...never had a single one come loose. :thumbsup:

Lynn,
Had another thought. If all elas fails, drill out the top detent hole that you put in the breach plug tang, tap it to fit the set screw and use a longer set screw and tie the breach to the action. I would leave the side screws alone.
Mark.

Papa,Like that also,Will I took it out this morning after the first two shots it loosing up.We change the set screw out with ones that had groove cut in the bottom.I firer it two more times no problem.I will be taking it out to work a load that will be the test.Would like to Thank you all for the help here. Lynn

If you have a digital camera, I'd like to see your action and set screws. I'm curious about whats going on. Also the breach plug. :hmm:

Short Arm,

What is the thickness of the side walls and the top of the receiver? [where the set screws go thru] I have several ideas, but need to know the thicknesses.

Bruce

Again would like to "Thank"all of you for the help.The problem FIX the new set screws we put in did the trick.Went out today and put twenty rounds threw it and running 100-110 grains per rounds never came loose.Thanks again Lynn

Sounds great! Now you'll need a whole bunch of different calib. barrels.

gmww said:
Sounds great! Now you'll need a whole bunch of different calib. barrels.

If you remember, I warned you what would happen if you left them in the dark.......how they would multiply! :grin:

Maybe a 45cal with a long barrel with a 1:20 twist for long range.Have a 45 cal 50 cal 54 cal and a 58 cal smoothbore I'm done "NOT'

Latest posts

Back