• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

proofing a shoot gun barrell

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big D

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up a old double the other day, appears to be a 16 g. Has Belgium marks on bottom and London on top of barrels in gold. The barrels ring when you tap them, so I know they arn't cracked or un soderd. The nipples are open but rusted in. tubes are dark, but I cant feel any pits. Now sure would like to see if its a shooter. So where do I start? What is a proof for it? Is there anybody who specalizes in older guns?

I used to go by the numbers in the Dixie catalog. I'll be interested to see if someone comes up with better info.

I have read in a blackpowder handbook by Sam Fadala that they put a double charge in the gun....tied the gun to a tire and a string to the trigger...then fired the gun when they were about 100 yds away by pulling the string.
they also show a picture of one that did not pass the test and you an see a piece of the barrel fling in the air about 40 feet off of the ground......
sure dont sound too safe to me.....although I did a test like that with an 1860 sxs NAIONAL ARMS 12 ga and nothing blew up....been shootin it ever since without a bit of fear.
...PLEASE DONT INTREPRET THIS AS BEING A SAFE TEST...

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

Only problem i see with proofing a barrel is that one proof load may be the load that casues unseen damage to the barrels, which may then come apart on you at some time with a normal charge in it. Best to have a good gunsmith check it out and maybe magnaflux it. :m2c:

Rebel, I can't help but agree with you. That and do I really want to subject the gun stock to that abuse. It may be a perfectly sound stock that is now subjected to more than it should. I would take the barrel off and use a fuse or someother way to light off the main charge. I would hate to have a proofed barrel and now have a "poofed" stock. :imo:

there is tons of posts on this and even heavy debate on if the one proof load is the one that damages the barrel .
well as always i will say that that could very well be the case but if so then its the case with every barrel made .

what i do with shotguns is a double type of test .
first double load powder with the normal load of shot . do that for both barrels . then take a good look at them . look for any bulging or expansion. If none then the next load I double load shot with a normal load of powder . Check the barrels again ..

Have you taken a look inside the bores yet ? Drop a bore light down and look for heavy deep pitting , this isn

Where can a get an x-ray and a metal analysis? Who does this kind of work? :thanks:

Where can a get an x-ray and a metal analysis? Who does this kind of work? :thanks:

You can do something like that on the outside of the barrel yourself, here is how...

Take fluorescent poster paint and really water it down (usually yellow or orange) and brush it in the outside of the barrel and let it dry...

Remove the paint with rubbing alcohol or even water and then get a fluorescent black light and inspect the barrel in a dark room, any crack will show up by the paint that wasn't removed in the cleaning process...

Back