• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What should I do with an "extra" Pedersoli Bess I got pretty cheap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$850-$950 as is
$1100-$1200 cleaned up

Just my opinion, which aint worth nuthin. 👍🏻

Thanks for the thoughts, folks. It seems like shortening it is an option, but I fear that would cost a bit of money and the end result would be worth less. Though maybe fun to shoot.

I think the best option is probably to pass it down the road to fund another purchase (Kibler?).

So the next question then is, to clean it up and sell, or sell "as is" to allow the new owner to do what they want with it. And what would be a fair price? I know new complete guns are like $1500 and new kits are $1200. Is $1200 reasonable for this "as is", as if it were a kit? More? Less?
Thanks again, folks.
rob
Rob, you spent some money driving to the auction

Your time is also worth money, your mental work on what to do how to do it how much it is that’s worth money

I recommend you go on the different antique gun sites: gun broker,IMA , antique gun sales

See what a Gun of the same quality and style is selling for talk it over if your wife girlfriend or good friend someone that will not lead you astray and sell it during sober and well rested time of your life

Best of luck if you’re ever in the eastern panhandle West Virginia, do not buy moonshine that they sell at the gas station. It really sucks.

Squatting duck

Rutherford’s Rangers

Senior private and aspiring student to my newest hound Beau

Attachments

• B4A68BDD-CD5B-42BA-96A1-C22934E193D0.jpeg
    B4A68BDD-CD5B-42BA-96A1-C22934E193D0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
A couple weeks ago I placed some bids in an auction and ended up winning 2 older Pedersoli black powder firearms. The first is the title Bess and second is a "Classic" 12 ga double percussion shotgun. The shotgun has a proof code from 1977 and it is pretty good shape but with some oxidation along the barrels and some active rust near the bores, but no pitting. I have wanted one of these for a while and the delivered cost was around $500.

The Bess appears to be one built from a kit. This is my guess mostly due to the stock being a very light color instead of dark stained walnut. It also has light oxidation along the length of the barrel as well as on the lock. The lock seems to be strong and functional. There is also a rear sight added. I have not yet found the proof code, but I thin it is likely of a similar age to the SxS.

Since I already have a factory DP Bess and bayonet, I'm trying to decide what to do with this one. Just scour the barrel and lock back to bright? Stain and refinish the stock? Or do something else like cut it down to a "carbine" or something similar and handy? Something else? I'm into the Bess about $550.

I can get some pics later.

Rob
You can send it to me for safe keeping until you make a decision about it. I would be happy to store it for twenty years free of charge, I may even clean it up a bit

Latest posts

Back