• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper Patch Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringdove

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:confused: I took my TC Renegade 50 cal to the range. I used 49 cal Hornady RB and a .018 pillow ticking patch lubed with Hoppes solvent and patch lube. The problem was I couldn't get the ball to go into the barrel more than a couple of inches. I never was able to get one seated over the charge. The ball I was using was a little frosted as though it had been wet at one time or just sat on a shelf for a long period. Do I need to find thinner patches? Any ideas appreciated. Not a fun day at the range for a returning newbie! :(

Try using .015" patches with the .490" ball in your .50. the .018" patch is a little thick for your caliber. i cut my own patches for my lyman .50 cal. GPR from pillow ticking i get from wal-mart. i use the baise colored ticking not the red or blue stripe that they have. the one i use measures about .016". works great with .490" RB. Hope this helps. good luck and good shooting :hatsoff:

try .015 patches.
my .490mold throws a .493 and the other .492.
you need to measure with a zeroed caliper or micrometer to know exactly what you are playing with.
foctory standards have tolerances. LEE molds run +.003/-.0 for what its worth.
I have also had success with .485 rb and a washed ticking patch.....485rb+.018patch in my cva and tc barrels.

That seems odd...I have a few different TC .50cal barrels...both cap & flint, both 1:48" & 1:66" twist...and they all love Hornady .490's and .018" pillow ticking.

And you mentioned you could only get a ball in a "couple inches"...makes me wonder if you're trying to start them with the ramrod and not using a short starter?

If you're not using a short starter that would explain it...the .490 & .018" is a snug fit but if it's punched in 6" with a short starter it'll seat right on down with a good strong ramrod...and the snug .490 & .018" combo is very accurate in TC barrels.

I was using a short starter. That is what has me baffled. Others are using the .018 with no difficulty. Not only couldn't I get the ball in, I almost killed myself getting it out. I had to hook the end of my range rod over a brace in the ceiling of the shooting shed to extract the ball. Even then it pulled the wooden end of the range rod off so I had to repair it when I got home. I just got back from the store where I bought some .015 patches as suggested. I just have severl hundred of the .018 that I hate to not be able to use.

rd97 said:
I was using a short starter. That is what has me baffled. Others are using the .018 with no difficulty.
Do you have a dial caliper (or micrometer) so you can precisely measure the thickness of the patches? If so just gently close the jaws of the dial caliper on the patch until you feel it just start to firm up...don't want to compress the material...do several and you'll get a feel for it and see what they read.

I don't know what brand they are but as one example, I do know TC made a run of .018" pillow ticking patches that were incorrectly packed and distributed with labels saying they were .015"...you might have a batch of patches you think are .018" but they might be .022", .025", etc.

Similar problems can exist with balls...I bought some boxes of Remington 'copper plated' .570" lead balls for my .58cal...using my normal tight patch, I had to tap them in with a scrap piece of 2x4 laying around at the range...got home and they mic'ed at .575"-.578"

Your barrel is on the small size or your bullet and patching material is to big.
remember that that patch is actualy doubling in the bore
.490+(( .018x2))=.036=.526
It's been a while since I did math forumals. please be kind :rotf:
I would suggest cerocasting it.
the stuff works great and you will know without a doubt what the land/grove size is.
Use a sloted tip with a patch. put it in about 1-1/2 to 2" pour that stuff in the muzzel.
It should pull right out. Measure with calipers or a mic.Put the stuff back in the lead pot and it's liquid!!!
the stuff is cheap and you can buy it from TOTW or Brownells, Midway, etc.
Had a GM .54 pistol that wouldn't load for nutting... reason was the bore was a few thousands undersize. After talking to GM about it. I used a smaller ball and that fixed it.
it's part of the fun of muzzeloading :grin:

Thanks for all the great responses. I love this forum and the help you give. Maybe one day I can contribute something besides questions. That may be a long time coming :wink:

You learn. You share. You invite friends to this "game of ours". You form opinions. You acquire more BP guns!

It sound like you have a leaded barrel. I would use a lead remover and steel wool. After the guns bore is well cleaned try a patch until it comes out clean. No black. :thumbsup:

Redwing, I'll ditto that! Once that ball is successfully started even just a few inches it should go the rest of the way unless something is stopping it.

If it's a used barrel it could have leading or plastic fouling from sabots in it.

I agree that there is a bore problem, if you can get the patched ball down a couple of inches it should go on down bore more easily than it started. Lead or plastic fouling would be my guess as well.

I just replaced the barrel with a new one designed for RB. This should fix the problem I hope.

When I am figuring out a patch thickness I lube a corner of the material I plan to use then I put a ball on it and see if it will go down the barrel an inch or so with a short starter. If it is to loose I have a large piece of material to grab and pull the ball out. If it is too tight to start I pull it out and go with a thinner piece of material. This way nothing gets stuck and I don't have to destroy a ram rod at the range trying to pull out a too tight patched ball.

I learned this the hard way after driving almost 50 miles to shoot and finding out nothing works.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back