• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prrimitive Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you need a "special season"? :hmm:

The arguments to "return" to the special season where all there was to shoot with were caplocks and flintlocks has been debunked, for throughout those seasons most states had small game seasons open too. So folks in the woods with single shot inlines, that's bad, but folks with ruger 10-22's or shotguns blasting away at squirrels, that's good? Waterfowl season was open too, with folks banging away at geese and ducks, and the swampy areas of the woods were full of duck hunters after mallards and wood ducks....

So instead of trying to mandate a change, lets first figure out what went wrong and why, and then see if a better approach can be made.

Inlines entered into the picture, because hunters wanted a longer season, but didn't want what they thought were the "disadvantages" one gets from a "traditional" caplock. (Flintlocks were completely out of the picture for these folks.)

So somebody comes along and creates more modern looking guns, very similar to single shot breechloaders, and then similar to bolt action rifles..., especially in appearance. They used caps at first, then switched to primers. All so a large group of hunters could have a longer season, and in their minds have "more reliable" rifles.

Bottom line..., the hunters wanted a longer period to get deer, and to get more deer. They not only got a full extra week, in some places two weeks, but they got a chance extra buck by horning-in on the ML season. Add to this the problem of the exploding deer populations, and the DNR is more than happy to allow a situation that gets more hunters into the woods and more deer taken...

So..., what's the objective?

Do you want less hunters in the woods when you go out with your muzzleloader?

Do you want to foster the continuance of the traditional firearms?

Both?

Instead of trying to limit human activity, try to promote it into the area where you want it to go.

We have hunter safety education classes, and a card that comes with the completion of that..., so get the state to institute a certified master hunter program. There is a class to qualify, you have to use either a traditional caplock, flintlock, or earlier ingnition gun, or regular draw bow (no compounds or crossbows). AND when you have said certification, so long as you are using your traditional tool..., you get to hunt two extra weeks in the year, as the "early ML season" goes from 3 days to 7 and is ONLY for certified master hunters, and the week between regular gun season and the old ML season is open to a CMH for hunting deer (when it's closed for everybody else). Add to that the CMH gets to harvest an extra buck, and several more antlerless deer. (This is based on how Maryland does their seasons..., your state would vary some I am sure).

The folks who started using inlines did so to get more time and more deer, so the way to "fix" that is to reward "us", and those that come over to our group, by giving more time, and more deer.

It wouldn't cause as much of change as the invention of the inlines caused, but it might just reverse the decline in the use of the traditional guns and bows, and increase the use a bit over time.

LD

I hunt with my ML during "modern"fire arm season,,just cause I can.Can't remember of anyone shooting "modern" getting all upset over me hunting with it during"Their" season..so why get all upset when,"they" hunt during "our"season,so long as "they" are doing it by the rules/laws.
Maine has a ML season ,in my area it runs from the monday after Thanksgiving till 08 Dec..law reads if it loads through the muzzle ..it's a muzzle loader!!!!!single shot,no scopes. There are a lot less hunters in the wood during ML season than Modern so I have a much less chance of being shot/or at.
The Inliners had enclosed breeches when they started out,,so the rules were change,,they didn't qualify because the rule read,No enclosed Breeches,no problem the MFG just cut a section out of the breech area and now they qualified,,,,
I have Never come across anyone in the wood during either modern or ML that was carrying an IL. ever.I don't even know anyone that owns one!!!!
Don't know as I would call it Primitive season,,that covers lots of ground,,from big rocks,clubs,spears the list is for ever,,,,,
If it was called Muzzle loader Season there again,,it loads from the muzzle so it is a Muzzle loader!!!!!
I would be interested in ,how many times anyone on this site has seen anyone in the woods during any of the hunting seasons,carrying an inline or any other weapon' than the "approved" Muzzle loader.
Isn't there a reference in the rules for this site,,WE do not discuss Inlines????
I have an idea,,it is to Our advantage to be more Inclusive and less Exclusive,,or one day we might wake up to, We all lose,through division of the ranks.

KDWP saw the money they could get by allowing scopes into the muzzle loading season and they ran with it. I wish they would at least go back to open sights. But I would love to have a primitive only season, pbr, open sights and side lock only.

In general as a person that owns everything except a full auto I try not to judge other firearm owners. I am a Benafactor member of the NRA and a Life member of the Texas Rifle association. That is why I try and support all gun owners and hunters. That being said the modern in-line rifles with optical sights are neither fish or fowol.

Here in Texas in the late 60's there was a push for traditional archery and muzzle loading rifles to be given a "traditional/premative" season. Then the compound bow came along and things got muddled.

Look I realize that we are not going to reverse the evolution of the MLR so I say live and let live. I hunt in regular rifle season here with bows or MLR's depending on the area I'm hunting. I have not hunted with my modern rifles in years.

This ia a question we all have to answer in our own way! Geo. T.

Geo T said:
In general as a person that owns everything except a full auto I try not to judge other firearm owners. I am a Benafactor member of the NRA and a Life member of the Texas Rifle association. That is why I try and support all gun owners and hunters. That being said the modern in-line rifles with optical sights are neither fish or fowol.

Here in Texas in the late 60's there was a push for traditional archery and muzzle loading rifles to be given a "traditional/premative" season. Then the compound bow came along and things got muddled.

Look I realize that we are not going to reverse the evolution of the MLR so I say live and let live. I hunt in regular rifle season here with bows or MLR's depending on the area I'm hunting. I have not hunted with my modern rifles in years.

This ia a question we all have to answer in our own way! Geo. T.

:hatsoff: :hatsoff:

bull3540 said:
No, because inlines are essentually modern guns so if you can use a CF then you can use an inline during the same time.
I have to agree. CVA even says is in their commercials "Loads like a traditional & performs like a CF"... Now if they were required to use loose powder, primitive sights (open iron sights), and a patched round ball, that would help to level the playing field. all that being said, whats with all the talk of "un-mentionables"lately? :shake:

Like my T-shirt says "SHUT UP AND HUNT" hunt your way and let people hunt there way if its legal of course. I was a side lock muzzleloader guy growing up moved away started using modern rifles now I am back to figuring out what flintlock to build so I can go primitive. Its a personnel choice though and thats how it should be in my eyes anyways. But if they make a primitive season trust me I will take advantage of it, but I don't feel its necessary to get upset if there isn't a special season.

Back