• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pulled a breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowkill

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok bought a barrel off a cool gentleman on here and it was a hooked breach 12 gauge barrel.It is percussion and i am strictly a flint dude. I just enjoy them more. Well it is a spain made barrel and the plug by my calipers is .775. Does anyone know the thread pattern. reckon it is metric?

ok i did not want to buy a set of thread gauges {or what ever they are called}so i just done a little trick i seen on the forums here not to long ago. I cut the snail off and plugged the hole, now all i got to do is make a tang for it. what do you guys think of just making a tang and welding it on the breech? oyea i have a little crevice where the threads started, but it is too deep to file out. thought of welding it up but it will make a conversation piece..
endbarrel008.jpg

endbarrel007.jpg

endbarrel006.jpg

endbarrel005.jpg

endbarrel004.jpg

endbarrel001.jpg

Yes doable, cut the hook off with the plug in place then position the slightly over size tan in place and tack in place onto the plug end ,remove the plug and weld up then fit it up . tig might be best for the welding.

necchi said:
Why not just get a tang that will accept the hook?

Sounds like the best solution to me. That`s what I`d do, is there any particular reason you want to have a fixed tang?

no no reason,thought it might be easier than making a tang. but i have not see many hook flintlocks?

We haven't seen alot of Cap lock barrels modified that far. :idunno:
Alot of guy's just sell the barrel for what it is and buy what they want with the money, :wink:

it will be Hooked breech flintlock, i have decided. going out to make the breech right not.....

Back