• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

purple heart wood............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
i was talking to someone in chat that said they have some small pieces of purple heart wood and other different woods....i need that person to reply to this post to hash out the deal as i forgot who it was :sorry:..................bob

P.S....i think it was olgreen....

Wasn't me, but for those that don't know what purple heart wood looks like on a finished product, here it is...

225_t.jpg

FYI - Musketman. I used to work in a shop that sold purpleheart and the word was it does not maintain that color indefinitely. It will change to a brown over time...or so I was told.

Bob It was me that ya was talking to. Sorry to say but I only have three pieces left and the wife has hidden them on me for a project of her own. If I get anymore in I will let ya know and maybe get some to ya. Sorry but like I said when we were in the chat I only had some scrap laying around, guess I got to keep the woman happy first as I got to live here too hee hee. Catch ya later n I'll keep my eye open for some more. YMHS Birdman

There is a place near me in Lombard, Illinois called Owl Hardwoods. All they sell is hardwoods and I saw some purpleheart in there a few days ago. They always have it and just about any kind of wood imaginable. Some very pricey. How much do you need?
Bill :thumbsup:

Reading your posts it dawned on me you guys are looking for this stuff. sorry. Woodcraft is a retail/catalog woodworking supply and they sell 3/4"X3"X24" pieces thru their catalog and their stores usually carry it. The one near me has boards 8' or 10' long...(Downinftown, Pennsylvania.)

I have a small piece. I picked up a couple 1-3/16" x 1-1/2 x 5" slabs for a knife project, but ended up making a ball-block of one of the chunks. I got it from a knifemaking supply house.

But sumewhere I have tucked a 1/4" x 1-1/2" x 5" piece I ripped off to get the block to thickness. If that is big enough for your inlay need you're welcome to it (assuming I can find it - it wasn't with the larger piece in my "projects" pile. :rolleyes:)

Bob,
there is an olgreenhead registered i believe 3 or 4 months ago. mite be who you are looking for.hope this helps you out.
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

i found out who it was he pm'ed me....i was thinking of doing a nosecap of a different wood instead of brass like ya see on some high end sporters like ebony or some other exotic wood....so that this rifle screams out it's mine....just to be different..........bob

bob,
having seen some of your work i am sure it will turn
out quite nicely!!!!
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

i'd say bout a 2" x 2" X 4" long that will fit on the nose of the rifle stock so i can work it down to the shape of the rifles nose cap shape that would be brass.............bob

FYI - Musketman. I used to work in a shop that sold purpleheart and the word was it does not maintain that color indefinitely. It will change to a brown over time...or so I was told.
When I was in Highschool, I made an electric guitar in woodshop. I used PH for the fretboard cause it is very hard and looked unique. That was 18 years ago and it's still purple. Maybe it just depends on the piece of wood?
cheers,

Back